Get Adobe Flash player

Daily Archives: April 22, 2008

CEM promoting ‘local managers, talent’

Image 

 by Sara Farr

Local electricity company, CEM, is looking at promoting local managers and talent, according to the company's CEO Franklin Willemyns.

Speaking to the Macau Daily Times yesterday on the sidelines of the ceremony of the signing of the protocol of co-operation between CEM and the Weather Bureau, Willemyns denied rumours that the company might be reducing its number of staff.
“CEM has always been a very professional company,” Willemyns said, adding that the company has had a long history of good relations with all its employees.
“We don't have any plans on any reduction of staff, local or foreign.”
However, rumour had it that the local electricity company was not renewing work contracts for some 30 of its foreign employees, mainly from the Sino-Portuguese group.
Even though it was initially thought that the majority shareholder of the Sino-Portuguese group was considering selling its shares with the company, EDP has denied such rumours.
“EDP remains one of CEM's main shareholders,” an official source from the company told the Macau Daily Times last week, adding that in December last year, “we stopped being CEM managers, a normal rotation that is foreseeable in management.”
“But we remain the main shareholders in CEM,” the source added.
Although it might seem puzzling to some as to why a company would replace a number of qualified staff with local labour, others believed that the “only” explanation for such a move was EDP selling its shares in the company.
Current CEM employees have expressed their concerns with the changes, since some will not have their contracts renewed and will be forced to return to Portugal at the end of this year, while others will leave in 2010, when the company's concession with the government ends.

Continued on page 2

Tennis: Battling Ancic sets up Nadal Monte Carlo clash

Sample Imageby Dave James*

Mario Ancic, whose career was undermined by crippling glandular fever, moved into the Monte Carlo Masters second round yesterday where he will face a challenge just as daunting in the shape of claycourt king Rafael Nadal.
Croatian Ancic, a former top 10 player and Davis Cup winner, was sidelined for six months in 2007 with mononucleosis, the same ailment which struck down world number one Roger Federer earlier this year.
But the 24-year-old, a Monaco resident, justified his wildcard award by easing past Czech qualifier Ivo Minar 6-3, 6-4 to set-up a second round meeting with Nadal, the triple champion here whose wins in 2005, 2006 and 2007 prefaced three French Open triumphs.
Ancic, now ranked 55 in the world, has won one of three career meetings with the Spanish left-hander, but the last came in 2004.
Nadal, the world number two, will be making his 2008 claycourt bow with a formidable record of 107 wins from 110 matches on his favourite surface in the last three years.
It's a run which has also yielded 17 claycourt titles.
Also reaching the second round was the 2002 and 2003 champion Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain who put out France's Michael Llodra 6-7 (5/7), 6-1, 6-1 and will next face either French qualifier Marc Gicquel or Jarkko Nieminen of Finland.
World number one Roger Federer arrives in Monte Carlo buoyed by having won a first title of the season at Estoril at the weekend.
The Swiss star, a runner-up here for the last two years to Nadal, believes his win in Portugal will provide a timely boost for another assault on the French Open, the only Grand Slam title to have eluded him.
"I've had five matches on clay now, that's a good start," said 12-time Grand Slam title winner Federer whose win over Nikolay Davydenko in Portugal was his first trophy since the Masters Cup in Shanghai in November.
Federer said that starting with an extra claycourt event in 2008 gave him confidence looking forward to Roland Garros where he has lost to Nadal in the last two finals.
"I have bounced back and I'm playing well again considering my tough start to season," said Federer who will take on either France's Gilles Simon or Spanish qualifier Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo.
Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic, the world number three, will face the winner of the first round meeting between triple French Open winner Gustavo Kuerten, the champion here in 1999 and 2001, and Croatia's Ivan Ljubicic.
Kuerten, whose career has been in freefall because of a serious back injury, is on a farewell tour of his favourite events.
The Brazilian, with a world ranking of 1,145, is playing here on a wildcard invitation and will retire after an emotional final appearance at Roland Garros next month.

*AFP

Archives