Get Adobe Flash player

Daily Archives: May 20, 2008

Housing Bureau sets out to improve property administration quality

 Image

 by Anni Lam

The Housing Bureau yesterday announced a public consultation on promoting the professionalism of the property administrative agencies and administrative staff.

This was in an effort to level up the property administrative system, boost professionalism and regulation and improve residents' livelihood.
President of the Housing Bureau, Chiang Coc Meng yesterday said that the public consultation was to collect residents' and administrative industries' opinions in order to draft the law on regulating the legal activity of the exercise of administration buildings and occupation of administrative staff.
The draft suggests setting regulations on five areas, including compulsory licensing of the property  administrative agency and staff, civil liability insurance, property administrative affairs, a property inspection system and a transitional period for executing the new law.
According to Chiang, there are approximately 4,000 property administrative staff in Macau and around 159  property administrative agencies.
He said that the age of the administrative staff had no limitations in an aim to upgrade their qualifications after taking property administrative courses.
The public consultation will begin from today until July 3 and hopefully can have completed the drafting and submitted to the Legislative Assembly by the end of the year, said Mr Chiang.

Setting out the terms for compulsory licensing
It was suggested that compulsory licenses of the property administrative agency and staff have three years validation and ought to be renewed prior to the expiration date. 
Failure to renew the license, disqualifying or misconduct during that period may face the termination of the license. The duration of the termination can be for up to two years.
Meanwhile further worsening situations such as the shut-down of the property administrative agency, absence of the technical superintendent and undue penalties may result in the cancellation of the license. 

Continued on Page 4

Death toll in SAfrican xenophobic violence reaches 13

Sample ImageAnother foreigner has been killed in South Africa as a wave of xenophobic violence spreads across Johannesburg, bringing the weekend death toll to 13, police said yesterday.
"Last night (Sunday) was relatively quiet compared to previous nights. We had a few incidents, one murder was reported from Alexandra. The body was found with bullet wounds," police spokesman Govindsamy Mariemuthoo said.
He said police from around the country's financial capital would meet yesterday to collate information from the weekend attacks in townships and the downtown area.
Some 250 people had been arrested during the attacks, including those committing offences such as looting which Mariemuthoo said were "pure criminal activities".
The violence against foreigners, who are accused by many South Africans of depriving locals of jobs and committing crime, has spread across townships since the beginning of last week.
Wielding guns and machetes, marauding mobs have launched attacks on foreigners from neighbouring countries such as Zimbabwe and Mozambique.
On Sunday an immigrant died after being covered with his own blankets and set alight. The gruesome image of the human fireball was captured on the front-page of several South African papers yesterday.
President Thabo Mbeki and leader of the ruling African National Congress Jacob Zuma have both strongly condemned the attacks.
The bulk of the immigrants who have flooded South Africa in recent years are from Zimbabwe, with an estimated three million having fled the economic meltdown and political crisis in their homeland.

 

Archives