MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Gaming revenue plummets for 8th month straight

Gaming revenue plummets for 8th month straight

By Lynzy Valles, MDT
June 2, 2020
2
0
Share:

Macau gaming revenue has plummeted again in May, recording a drop of 93.2% from a year earlier, a figure that was slightly better than the median analyst estimate of 95%.
Data from the Gaming Inspection & Coordination Bureau shows that gross gaming revenue plunged to 1.76 billion patacas last month, representing the eighth month straight of declining revenue.
The figure shows that the SAR is still suffering the blow of the virus and ongoing entry and travel restrictions.
Meanwhile, analysts previously noted that casinos are losing more than $1 million a day.
The outbreak has been largely contained in Macau as well as in neighboring Hong Kong and Mainland China. However, restrictions on travel make it almost impossible for tourists and high rollers to show up to place their bets.
Several gaming tables in the city’s casinos remain vacant as the central government maintains its suspension of the individual visit scheme (IVS) and group tour visas.
It is still unknown when the central government will once again permit their citizens to apply for the IVS or grant group travel visas.
However, analysts are hoping that border and visa restrictions will be eased from this month – particularly after the recently concluded National People’s Congress.
Earlier, Chief Executive Ho Iat Seng said that the local government would request that the central government resume issuing the IVS and increase the number of cities covered by the scheme.
Even with restrictions being lifted, there will still be “a clear set of risks,” Sanford C. Bernstein analyst Vitaly Umansky wrote in a note last month. Health experts are concerned about a second wave of infections, protests are flaring up again in Hong Kong, and the Chinese economy’s recovery has been slow as relations with the US deteriorate.
The average daily rate of Macau’s gross gaming revenue from May 18 to May 24 fell into negative values, according to estimates from brokerage Sanford C. Bernstein.
The average daily rate stood at approximately minus 25 million patacas, implying that gross gaming revenue for the seven-day period had tumbled 103% year-on-year. Bernstein said that the decrease was driven by a very small base of players during this pandemic outbreak which has driven volatility, particularly in the VIP segment. The group said that some sources have suggested Macau’s GGR for May 1 to 24 was approximately 700 million patacas.
All casino operators have recorded a drop in gaming revenues in the first quarter of the year, with analysts at JP Morgan Securities (Asia Pacific) reporting that Macau casino operators have enough financial liquidity behind them to survive with “near-zero revenue” for years.
According to data provided by the Public Security Police Force, which oversees immigration matters in the SAR, the number of tourist arrivals in April was 219,329, a slight increase from March arrivals of 200,000
However, it remains significantly subdued compared to the more than 3 million tourists per month averaged last year.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Briefs | Applications for education loan interest ...

Next Article

Asia Today: South Korea clamps down again ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gov’t does not foresee specific labor rules for takeaway delivery drivers

      December 15, 2025
      By Nadia Shaw, MDT
    • Macau

      Raised duty-free quota applicable at all borders except Hengqin

      August 2, 2024
      By -
    • Macau

      MICE events record drop during first three quarters of this year

      November 28, 2018
      By -
    • Macau

      IPIM ex-president Jackson Chang arrested by CCAC

      July 5, 2019
      By -
    • Macau

      Winners of ‘Kam Pek Market’ tender finally unveiled

      October 11, 2024
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gov’t rejects claims of ‘invisible overtime’ in civil service

      May 18, 2026
      By Yuki Lei, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • ChinaEditorialMacau

      Editorial | The dawn of a new era?

    • Opinion

      Made in Macao | O Christmas Gift

    • Forum

      Angola and China are a priority to diversify Cape Verde’s economic relations

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d