MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Gov’t to study environmental impact of Coloane chemical depots

Gov’t to study environmental impact of Coloane chemical depots

By -
August 27, 2018
1
0
Share:

The government has decided to conduct an environmental impact assessment on two sites in Coloane proposed to house storage facilities for hazardous materials, following several weeks of public campaigning against the project.

According to a government statement, the decision was taken in light of the opinions expressed by members of the public and suggestions from the Secretary for Security, Wong Sio Chak.

“Having an environmental impact assessment would address the issue of the security of any such facilities and ensure maximum safety for the public and for their property,” noted the government in the statement.

The two proposed sites, both located in Colonae at Estrada do Dique Oeste and Avenida Marginal Flor de Lotus, will be studied by local public works departments to determine their potential environmental impact should they be used for storing hazardous materials.

The government said that it understands the concern of the public and recognizes “their perception [that] there might somehow be a threat to the community [from] the proposed storage facilities.”

As such it is stepping up efforts to provide the public with further details regarding the criteria applied to selecting the proposed locations and the safety management measures that would be applied. The government believes that such efforts will improve transparency regarding the management of hazardous materials.

Meanwhile, the leader of a group of dissatisfied Coloane residents, Edith Mak, has said that another demonstration against the proposal will be held on September 9. According to public broadcaster TDM, a few hundred protestors are expected to join the demonstration.

The proposal to relocate the storage facilities for hazardous materials to the Concordia Industrial Park in Coloane was first raised in mid-July as a “temporary solution” until the government could devise a more suitable location.

Following scrutiny of the proposal by Macau’s Urban Planning Committee, which found several matters of concern, a group of residents of the Seac Pai Van area gathered to protest the decision, lamenting the lack of public consultation.

Late last month, a petition signed by over 7,400 people was delivered to the government, calling for a halt to the projet on the basis of safety concerns and what they described as “poor urban planning”.

But the government contests this idea and says that the proposed locations will reduce the likelihood of accidents. It said that the locations would avoid the unnecessary storage and transportation of dangerous chemicals.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Briefs | Police association member arrested for ...

Next Article

Economy grows 6 percent in 2nd quarter

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      DSAL to hold three job matching sessions next week, 266 jobs on offer

      February 17, 2023
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      Drug administration to be established in 2022

      June 24, 2021
      By -
    • Macau

      Beijing’s call to develop Hengqin is now an ‘order’

      January 5, 2015
      By -
    • Macau

      Briefs | Weather bureau warns of cold New Year’s Eve

      December 28, 2020
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Education bureau sees graduating students wary about overseas study

      July 19, 2021
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • Macau

      Tims China to develop Popeyes in Macau, mainland

      February 14, 2023
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Visual art exhibition “Lusophone Polychromies” opens

    • Daily Edition

      Tuesday, February 7, 2023 – edition no. 4181

    • Macau

      Former MGM CEO Jim Murren mulls next move into entertainment

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia
    %d