MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-Pacific
Home›Asia-Pacific›Philippines | Military says it has killed 70 Abu Sayyaf militants

Philippines | Military says it has killed 70 Abu Sayyaf militants

By -
November 2, 2016
1
0
Share:

The Philippine military said yesterday it has killed 70 Abu Sayyaf militants and captured 32 others in an offensive that began in July against the group, which is accused of kidnapping sailors from neighboring countries for ransom.
Military spokesman Col. Edgard Arevalo said 28 government troops have died and nearly 100 others have been wounded in one of the largest military campaigns against the brutal militants in the southern island provinces of Sulu and Basilan.
At least 34 militants have surrendered under pressure from the offensive, he said.
President Rodrigo Duterte flew to Sulu with top defense officials and military commanders on Monday to rally the troops and give medals to six soldiers wounded in the latest fighting in Sulu’s Patikul and Indanan towns, which killed at least eight Abu Sayyaf gunmen, Arevalo said.
Troops were ordered to “continue to intensify the conduct of operations and maintain the momentum,” Arevalo said.
Duterte has ordered the military to destroy the Abu Sayyaf, which is accused of kidnapping Malaysian and Indonesian tugboat crewmen in a series of attacks this year that prompted the three countries to map out a joint strategy to strengthen sea border security.
The daring attacks in the busy sea lane have prompted Indonesia to restrict coal shipments to the Philippines. The militants have targeted slow-moving tugboats pulling coal barges which are easy to board, but last month they attacked an ocean-going South Korean cargo ship off southern Tawi Tawi province, near Sulu, abducting its South Korean skipper and a Filipino crewman.
Duterte plans to discuss the Abu Sayyaf threat when he visits Malaysia next week.
The Abu Sayyaf has survived through the years mainly with kidnappings for ransom. A Philippine threat assessment report seen by The Associated Press showed that the militants pocketed at least 353 million pesos (USD7.3 million) from six ransom kidnappings involving 21 people in the first six months of the year.
The report said the lucrative payoffs enabled the group to procure firearms and ammunition.
Most of the total was paid for the release of 14 Indonesian and four Malaysian crewmen who had been held at Abu Sayyaf jungle camps in Sulu province, the report said.
Philippine officials have said they were unaware of any ransoms paid for the hostages and added that they continue to observe a no-ransom policy.
Military offensives reduced the number of Abu Sayyaf fighters to 481 in the first half of the year from 506 in the same period last year, but they managed to carry out 32 bombings in that time — a 68 percent increase — in attempts to distract the military assaults, the report said.
The militants have an estimated 438 firearms, it said.
The report said the group retains new members by posting “their pictures, videos in the social media to dissuade them from leaving.” AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Japan | Sony Music apologizes for band’s ...

Next Article

Pyongyang joyfully lobs barbs at Seoul political ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-Pacific

      Australia | Senator slammed over mosque shooting comments

      April 3, 2019
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Analysis | A flurry of exchanges, protests: What’s next for Koreas?

      January 25, 2018
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Papua New Guinea’s PM says he will sign a security pact with Australia

      December 6, 2023
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Philippines | Marine murder suspect guarded by US in camp 

      October 23, 2014
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Offbeat | Qantas boss gets pie in face from gay marriage opponent

      May 11, 2017
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Farmers blamed for Delhi’s pollution say they are helpless

      November 8, 2019
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Gaming group appeals for making cash handout routine

    • Drive In

      In the joyous ‘Toy Story 4,’ the toys evolve too

    • Asia-Pacific

      Indonesia | Forest fire kills 6 hikers

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia
    %d