MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›Social worker sentenced to nearly four years for mediation attempts at protests
Hong Kong

Social worker sentenced to nearly four years for mediation attempts at protests

By -
April 10, 2025
2
0
Share:

Hong Kong social worker Jackie Chen

A Hong Kong social worker was sentenced to three years and nine months in prison yesterday on a charge of riot for her role in the 2019 anti-government movement, in a case that signals the authorities’ stern approach to protest-related acts.

Jackie Chen was among a group of social workers who often carried a loudspeaker seeking to mediate between police and protesters during the often-violent social unrest. While she had been acquitted in her first trial in September 2020, prosecutors successfully appealed the verdict. She was convicted following a retrial.

In March, judge May Chung rejected Chen’s claim of being a mediator in her verdict. She said Chen had continuously shouted unfounded accusations against the police during a protest in August 2019 and had used her social worker role, claiming to be “safeguarding justice,” to back the protesters.

Handing down the sentence, Chung noted Chen did not resort to violence at the scene, but her sentencing would have to consider what the whole crowd was doing at the site. She pointed to the serious circumstances of the riot.

The judge initially set the sentence at five years but reduced it after considering factors like the pressure facing Chen over the long legal proceedings and her contribution as a social worker.

In Chen’s mitigation letter posted by local media, she said 2019 was a crucial turning point in her life, with many social workers wanting to provide emotional support during the protests. She said even though she knew the government had planned to appeal against her acquittal in the first trial, she never thought of leaving the city because she wanted to continue her service for the people who are in need.

She said she felt especially guilty toward her 75-year-old mother, whose health has deteriorated in recent years. She hoped the judge could allow her to reunite with her family earlier.

“Although many people say I am a good social worker, I am truly an unfilial daughter,” she wrote.

When she entered the courtroom, her supporters in the public gallery waved at her. She smiled and nodded back.

The social worker’s conviction drew attention because of her mild role in the 2019 protests. The movement, sparked by a now-withdrawn extradition bill, was the biggest challenge to the Hong Kong government since the former British colony returned to Chinese rule in 1997.

Chen could also lose her social worker license. Last year, the government amended the law to allow the removal of a social worker’s name from the register if he or she has been convicted of an offense that is punishable with imprisonment and may bring the profession into disrepute.

In the same hearing, three other defendants received jail terms of two years and five months each for rioting. They had been initially acquitted but the government successfully appealed. They then chose to plead guilty. MDT/AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsHong Kong
Previous Article

US says China is a threat to ...

Next Article

Beijing ups diplomatic influence on Africa as ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • China

      Across the forgotten walls of an island, a flock of bird murals rises 

      January 26, 2026
      By -
    • China

      China urges countries to fully respect fact that Hong Kong has already returned to China: FM spokesperson

      January 5, 2024
      By -
    • China

      HONG KONG | Thousands march for democracy  in first rally since December

      February 2, 2015
      By -
    • China

      Judge rules in favor of lesbian couple’s parental recognition

      September 10, 2025
      By -
    • China

      ‘Raging Fire’ wins best film at Hong Kong Film Awards

      July 19, 2022
      By -
    • China

      Lee swipes at Trump but avoids criticism of tycoon’s deal to sell Panama Port assets

      March 19, 2025
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      The Buzz | College coaches, others indicted in admissions bribery case

    • Asia-Pacific

      Jakarta to deport a fugitive to Thailand who is wanted on murder, drug trafficking charges

    • AdvertorialMacau

      MELCO supports local SMEs through wave of creative and promotional opportunities

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d