MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›This Day in History | 1974 – Kidnap attempt on Princess Anne

This Day in History | 1974 – Kidnap attempt on Princess Anne

By -
March 20, 2018
1
0
Share:

Princess Anne and her husband Captain Mark Phillips have escaped an apparent kidnap attempt in which four people were wounded.

The royal couple were returning to Buckingham Palace along Pall Mall when their chauffer-driven Rolls-Royce was forced to halt by another car which blocked their route.

A man appeared from a light coloured vehicle and fired six shots, all of which it is said were not directed at the royal couple, but left four people in hospital.

The Princess’ private detective Inspector James Beaton fired at the man before he was wounded and the chauffer Alex Callender, one of the Queen’s senior drivers, was also injured.

They have both now been taken to Westminster Hospital were they are understood to be undergoing surgery.

A police officer who heard the shots and attended was hit in the stomach and a man passing in a taxi was also wounded.

Rowena Brassey, the Princess’s Lady-in-waiting, was also present when the man jumped out and opened fire before trying to jump into the Princess’ vehicle.

A police officer chased the man and brought him to the ground before arresting him.

The Princess is said to be shocked but not injured in any way.

The couple had been returning to Buckingham Palace from a charity film screening in the City.

The incident raises concerns as to how the precise whereabouts of two members of the Royal Family would be known to a member of the public.

The man has been charged and taken into custody for questioning and is expected to appear before magistrates tomorrow.

Police say it is too early to determine if the man was working alone or part of an organisation but they said it did not appear to be politically motivated.

The Queen and Prince Philip are currently on a state visit to Indonesia but have been informed of the attack.

Courtesy BBC News

In
context

It soon emerged the shooting was an attempted kidnap on Princess Anne to hold her to ransom when a letter penned by the assailant addressed to Queen Elizabeth was found demanding £3m for her release.

Ian Ball, 26, was prosecuted for the attempted murder of the princess’s detective, and various offences under the Offences Against the Person Act.

Ball was sentenced to life imprisonment and placed in a mental hospital.

His attempt to kidnap Princess Anne remains the closest attempt anyone has made on abducting a member of the Royal Family.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Football – FA Cup | Chelsea, United ...

Next Article

Analysis | What to expect from Putin ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      The Buzz | Religion and politics collide, grounding Israeli train line

      September 5, 2016
      By -
    • World

      Offbeat | Naked, body-painted bicyclists ride through Philadelphia 

      August 31, 2015
      By -
    • World

      Offbeat | Moscow police looking into no-pants subway ride

      January 13, 2016
      By -
    • World

      ENVIRONMENTAL ACTIVISM | Global marches draw attention to climate change

      September 23, 2014
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | Top of mind: ‘Justice’ is Merriam-Webster’s word of the year

      December 18, 2018
      By -
    • World

      This Day in History | 1979 – Rhodesia reverts to British rule

      December 11, 2019
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Sports

      U17 World Cup | Air pollution high in India

    • Sports

      Football | Wenger collects record 7th FA Cup

    • Opinion

      World Views | 2020 had a silver lining for math geeks

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d