MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›Beijing tightens hospital oversight following man’s death

Beijing tightens hospital oversight following man’s death

By -
May 6, 2016
1
0
Share:

China’s government health care regulator yesterday ordered hospitals not to outsource medical services or promote false advertising amid a public outcry over the death of a young man who received expensive but ineffective treatments for a rare form of cancer.
The order by the National Health and Family Planning Commission followed heavy publicity of 21-year-old Wei Zexi’s death after being treated at a Beijing hospital affiliated with the national paramilitary police force.
Chinese media reports said the Second Hospital of the Beijing Armed Police Corps had outsourced the administration of its oncology department to a private company which allegedly sought profits by offering ineffective, unnecessary or unapproved medical treatments.
Before his death on April 12, Wei said in an online post that he came across the hospital because it was listed at the top in his search for cancer treatment on China’s dominant search engine, Baidu, raising questions as to whether Baidu had gone too far in extending its pay-for-listing practice to medical services.
Baidu inserts only the phrase “promoted” in small print to identify paid search results. It has already been criticized earlier this year for selling rights to administer online forums on medical issues to commercial companies, which can promote their services while deleting unflattering posts from real patients.
On Monday, the Cyberspace Administration of China announced it was investigating the company, which saw its stock price drop the next day on the Nasdaq index. Baidu, which enjoys a near monopoly on search in China due to the government’s blocking of Google, has also been heavily criticized online and in Chinese state media for not thoroughly investigating companies whose money it takes to promote their search results.
Baidu said in a statement Sunday that it was cooperating with investigators and would support the Wei family’s quest for justice if the hospital was found to be at fault.
Wei wrote that in his search for a possible cure for his cancer, he had trusted Baidu’s search results and the hospital, which carries the highest official rating for its medical facilities from the Chinese authorities. Wei reportedly suffered from a rare form of soft tissue cancer called synovial sarcoma. It wasn’t clear whether he knew about the private company’s role in his treatment.
Wei wrote that the family spent more than 200,000 yuan (USD30,750) on immunotherapy treatment to no avail.
In its statement, the government’s commission said immunotherapy has not been approved for clinical use in China and can only be applied on an experimental basis. It ordered an end to the practice of outsourcing the administration of medical departments as well as the clinical application of unapproved therapies.
The Second Hospital of the Beijing Armed Police Corps has reportedly suspended services in the wake of the controversy. Calls to the hospital rang unanswered yesterday. Didi Tang, Beijing , AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Some howl over Alibaba’s place in anti-counterfeiting ...

Next Article

Disney CEO meets Chinese president ahead of ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • China

      Party leaders drawing up new long-range growth plan

      October 27, 2015
      By -
    • China

      LeBron uses basketball diplomacy to bridge US-China tensions

      September 10, 2025
      By -
    • China

      Indonesia prosecutors seek prison for Chinese Uighur accused of plot

      October 18, 2016
      By -
    • China

      CRIME | Man slashes 3 children in Zhongshan

      July 22, 2014
      By -
    • China

      Explosion in port city kills 2, injures 30

      November 27, 2017
      By -
    • China

      Beijing vows to expand legal ‘toolkit’ to fight US sanctions

      March 9, 2021
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Opinion

      Macau Matters | A carbon neutral Macau

    • Macau

      Uber launches Xmas specials

    • BusinessCorporate Bits

      Galaxy wins IGA’s Sustainability Award

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia
    %d