MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›Italy | Bank of China money-laundering trial to begin in March 

Italy | Bank of China money-laundering trial to begin in March 

By -
August 7, 2015
1
0
Share:
A pedestrian walks past a Bank of China Ltd. branch in Beijing

A pedestrian walks past a Bank of China Ltd. branch in Beijing

A USD5 billion money-laundering trial of the Bank of China and 297 other defendants in Italy is scheduled to begin in March, deputy public prosecutor Giulio Monferini said Wednesday.
At issue is more than 4.5 billion euros ($5 billion) allegedly smuggled out of Italy to China through a money transfer service part-owned by Chinese immigrants.
Prosecutors in Florence said nearly half the money was funneled through the Bank of China’s Milan branch, which earned over 758,000 euros in commissions on the transactions. When the hearings begin in March, a judge will decide whether to press ahead with charges of money-laundering and assisting a mafia-like organization against the bank’s Milan branch and four of its employees.
The Bank of China has denied wrongdoing. In a June statement to the Hong Kong stock exchange, the bank said it had not received formal prosecution documents but would cooperate with Italian authorities. Lawyers for the money transfer network’s owners have said their clients are not guilty.
China’s central bank and other government agencies vowed to strengthen money-laundering controls after news of the Italian investigation into the Bank of China broke, the state-run China Daily newspaper reported last week.
The Bank of China is not the only major Chinese bank with overseas branches facing scrutiny. In July, the U.S. Federal Reserve told China Construction Bank to strengthen its anti-money-laundering framework and improve customer due diligence and monitoring of suspicious transactions.
The Italian case showcases the large underground economy that has grown with the Chinese diaspora and flourished in the absence of effective legal and judicial cooperation between China and the West.
Italian prosecutors allege that the money transfer network, Money2Money, operated like a mafia, using threats and coercion to maintain a near-monopoly on money transfers from Italy to China. Money2Money also had an exclusive contract with the Bank of China’s Milan branch which stipulated that the bank would not work with any other firm to send money from Italy to China, prosecutors said.
In court documents, prosecutors said the money, which was earned from counterfeiting, prostitution, labor exploitation and tax evasion, was fractioned into small sums to avoid detection and that the bank’s management and audit staff failed to report suspicious transactions, helping conceal the source and destination of the funds.
Italian officials told The Associated Press that China did not cooperate with the money-laundering investigation, despite Beijing’s efforts to win help from Western governments in repatriating corrupt Chinese officials who have fled overseas with their stolen fortunes.
Italian police were unable to continue their investigation in China, but the AP, in a story published in June, tracked some of the smuggled money to a large government-controlled import-export company that has been accused of repeatedly shipping counterfeit merchandise, some of it to the United States.
The Italian case covers transactions between 2006 and 2010. Legal proceedings had stalled as Italian prosecutors struggled to locate hundreds of hard-to-find defendants, most of them Chinese migrants living in Italy. Monferini said all but around 50 people had been successfully notified of the cases against them.  Erika Kinetz, Florence AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Saudi Arabia | Mosque bombing targets police, ...

Next Article

Afghanistan | Military helicopter crash kills 17

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      This Day in History | 2001 – US declares war on terror

      September 12, 2017
      By -
    • World

      A glare, a handshake, a pope: Busy UN summit makes history 

      October 5, 2015
      By -
    • World

      Mike Tyson is ready to talk your ears off about MMA

      October 9, 2019
      By -
    • World

      Australia | Police identify remains of missing French tourist

      July 16, 2019
      By -
    • World

      Germany’s national election | Merkel seen winning 4th term, nationalists strong

      September 25, 2017
      By -
    • World

      This day in history | 1999 Putin takes over as Yeltsin resigns

      January 15, 2021
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      Burundi factions meet as violence enters 9th month

    • World

      Thailand | Pro-democracy activists march against government

    • Business

      Malaysia Air begins ‘hard reset’ with fewer workers, cost cuts

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d