MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›LegCo crisis | Hong Kong pro-democracy legislators hand in resignations

LegCo crisis | Hong Kong pro-democracy legislators hand in resignations

By -
November 13, 2020
1
0
Share:

Hong Kong’s pro-democracy legislators began resigning in protest yesterday, one day after the government ousted four members of their camp.
The 15 remaining members of the bloc have said they will resign en masse in a show of solidarity after China’s central government in Beijing passed a resolution this week that led to the four lawmakers’ disqualification.
Most of the 15 did not attend a regular session of the legislature yesterday, and some later handed in resignation letters at the Legislative Council’s secretariat.
China sharply criticized the move. Its Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office called the mass resignation “an open challenge” against the authority of the central government and the Basic Law, Hong Kong’s constitution.
“If these lawmakers hope to use their resignation to provoke opposition and beg for foreign interference, they have miscalculated,” it said in a statement.
Wu Chi-wai, the head of the pro-democracy bloc, said the Chinese and Hong Kong governments were trying to take away the separation of powers in the city, since the ousting of the four lawmakers bypassed the courts.
“We lost our check-and-balance power, and all the constitutional power in Hong Kong rests in the chief executive’s hands,” Wu said.
He said it was the end of the city’s ‘one country, two systems’ framework under which Hong Kong has enjoyed autonomy and freedoms not found in the mainland since the former British colony’s return to China in 1997.
Claudia Mo, a pro-democracy lawmaker who also handed in her resignation, added: “We are quitting the legislature only at this juncture. We’re not quitting Hong Kong’s democracy fight.”
Earlier in the day, one of the pro-democracy lawmakers, Lam Cheuk-ting, unfurled a banner from a balcony inside the Legislative Council building saying city leader Carrie Lam had brought disaster to Hong Kong and its people, and that her infamy would last ten thousand years.
The mass departure will leave Hong Kong’s legislature with just 43 legislators, 41 of whom belong to the pro-Beijing bloc. This means that the legislature could pass bills favored by Beijing with little opposition.
The lawmakers announced their decision to resign hours after the Hong Kong government said it was disqualifying the four legislators — Alvin Yeung, Dennis Kwok, Kwok Ka-ki and Kenneth Leung.
The four had urged foreign governments to sanction China and Hong Kong as China cracked down on dissent in the semi-autonomous Chinese city. Beijing accused them of violating their oaths of office.
A resolution passed this week by the Standing Committee of China’s National People’s Congress said that any lawmaker who supports Hong Kong’s independence, refuses to acknowledge China’s sovereignty over the city, threatens national security, or asks external forces to interfere in the city’s affairs should be disqualified.
Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin yesterday reiterated Beijing’s support for Hong Kong’s government in “fulfilling its duty according to the NPC Standing Committee’s decision.”
“No country will turn a blind eye to acts of betrayal of the country by public officials, including members of the Legislative Council, who break their oaths of office,” Wang said at a daily news briefing.
Britain, the United States and Australia have denounced the move.
The U.K. summoned China’s ambassador in London to register “deep concern at this latest action by his government,” Foreign Office minister Nigel Adams told lawmakers yesterday.
Adams said it was “another sad day for the people of Hong Kong” and that the British government has declared it the third breach of the Sino-British Joint Declaration on the territory’s handover since it came into force in 1997 and the second time in the last six months.
He said China’s actions are “designed to harass and stifle all voices critical of China’s policies.”
Hong Kong’s people, he added, are left now with a “neutered legislature.”
President Donald Trump’s national security adviser, Robert O’Brien, said the Chinese Communist Party has violated its international commitment to the people of Hong Kong.
“’One country, two systems’ is now merely a fig leaf covering for the CCP’s expanding one-party dictatorship in Hong Kong,” he said.
Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne said in a statement that the disqualification of the four lawmakers “seriously undermined” Hong Kong’s democratic processes and institutions.
In recent months, Beijing has increasingly clamped down on Hong Kong, despite promising when it took control in 1997 to leave the territory’s more open legal and economic systems intact for 50 years until 2047.
Beijing imposed a national security law in June that some have labeled draconian after anti-government protests rocked the city for months last year, and it has used it to crack down on opposition voices.
In response, the U.S. leveled sanctions on several officials, including Lam. Several Western countries have suspended their extradition treaties with the territory, and Australia and Britain have offered Hong Kongers easier paths to settle in those countries.
Earlier in the year, the four lawmakers were barred from seeking reelection in a vote originally scheduled for September.
The government eventually postponed the planned September election by a year, citing the coronavirus. The pro-democracy camp criticized the move as an attempt to block them from taking a majority of seats in the legislature — which was a possibility in the election. ZEN SOO, Hong Kong, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Social Media | TikTok asks court to ...

Next Article

Covid-19 | Brazil resumes trials of Chinese ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • China

      Party vows to keep yuan at reasonable level after SDR inclusion

      December 3, 2015
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Communist Party policy meeting endorses leader Xi’s high-tech vision for economy

      July 19, 2024
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Malaysia’s Anwar calls for China-US dialogue over coercion

      October 28, 2025
      By -
    • China

      Google appoints new chief to oversee tumultuous China region

      June 18, 2019
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Top diplomat rebukes Trump’s trade policy at UN

      October 1, 2018
      By -
    • China

      Slimmed down military to help Xi counter US dominance

      September 7, 2015
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Travel council predicts up to 90% hotel occupancy in summer holiday

    • Sports

      Football | New league, very different challenges for Capello in China

    • World

      This Day in History | 1961 – Exiles invade Cuba at Bay of Pigs

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d