MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-Pacific
Home›Asia-Pacific›Philippines | Gunman wounds Saudi preacher, diplomat in Zamboanga

Philippines | Gunman wounds Saudi preacher, diplomat in Zamboanga

By -
March 3, 2016
1
0
Share:

A gunman attacked and wounded a Saudi preacher and a diplomat from Saudi Arabia’s embassy before being killed by policemen in the southern city of Zamboanga, police said yesterday.
Preacher Aaidh Al-Qarni was about to leave Western Mindanao State University after delivering a lecture late Tuesday when he and religious attache Turki Assaegh were shot by the gunman, who darted out from a crowd, police spokeswoman Senior Inspector Helen Limen Galvez said.
Both victims were taken to a hospital for treatment and declared out of danger, Galvez said. Al-Qarni was shot in his right shoulder, left arm and chest while Assaegh was hit in his right thigh and left leg.
Investigators at the scene found a pistol and a motorcycle the gunman may have used, police said. Policemen later arrested two other suspects in connection with the attack, Galvez said.
The motive for the attack was not immediately clear.
Philippine Foreign Undersecretary Rafael Seguis said last week that the Saudi government had asked several countries, including the Philippines, for improved security because of a possible threat, the nature of which was not specified.
Philippine police strengthened security at Saudi Arabia’s embassy and its national airline following the request, Seguis said.
Seguis noted that Saudi Arabia has a conflict with Iran, where the Saudi Embassy recently came under attack, but said it’s hard to say whether the reported threat was connected to that.
Protesters set fire to the Saudi Embassy in Tehran and attacked its consulate in another Iranian city in response to the kingdom’s execution of a prominent Shiite cleric on Jan 2. The protests prompted Saudi Arabia to cut diplomatic ties with Iran, escalating tensions between the longtime regional rivals.
Zamboanga, a major port city 860 kilometers south of Manila, has been hit by deadly bombings blamed on Abu Sayyaf militants, some of whom have pledged support to the Islamic State group.
Also this week, a major military offensive has killed 24 suspected local sympathizers of the Islamic State group and captured their remote southern stronghold, where troops raised the national flag on Tuesday, the military said.
Six soldiers were killed and a dozen others were wounded in the weeklong campaign that involved about 2,000 military personnel in Butig town in Lanao del Sur province, Armed Forces of the Philippines spokesman Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla said.
Army generals turned over control of the captured militant stronghold in Poktan village to the Butig town mayor after the flag-raising ceremony, which was held near where leaders of the extremist group identified as Omar and Abdullah Maute used to live, Padilla said.
About 40 militants attacked an army camp in Butig on Feb. 20 in the predominantly Muslim region about 840 kilometers south of Manila. More militants, some wearing black arm and head bands with Islamic State group-style symbols, later joined in the fighting, prompting the military to deploy three battalions of troops backed by assault helicopters and artillery fire, according to the military. AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Islamic State group in competition for recruits ...

Next Article

UN to vote today on new North ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-Pacific

      Nature | Hop on! Wild rabbits surf on sheep to flee New Zealand flood

      July 31, 2017
      By -
    • Asia-PacificChina

      South China Sea | Duterte asks military to tell Beijing vast sea area ‘is ours’

      March 14, 2017
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Korea tensions Seoul lawmaker: Top Kim Jong Un adviser removed from post

      April 25, 2019
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      North Korea’s nuclear program quietly advances

      January 16, 2019
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Eminem song composer: New Zealand ad is ‘blatant rip-off’

      May 3, 2017
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Military says 3 militants killed in Kashmir were behind the massacre that sparked a clash with Pakistan

      July 30, 2025
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • China

      State TV carries Daily Show spot on Huawei lead in 5G

    • World

      this day in history: 1950 Hunt for missing atomic scientist

    • Book It

      The CIA in Laos changed the way America wages war

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia
    %d