MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›South China Sea | ASEAN issues, retracts, tough statement on troubled waters

South China Sea | ASEAN issues, retracts, tough statement on troubled waters

By -
June 16, 2016
1
0
Share:
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lu Kang

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lu Kang

The Association of Southeast Asian Nations issued, then swiftly retracted a tough statement on tensions in the South China Sea that may have offended meeting host China, underscoring sensitivity over the increasingly heated territorial disputes in the region.
The statement from the 10-nation regional bloc was issued this week after a China-ASEAN meeting in the southern Chinese city of Yuxi called in part to discuss tensions in the crucial waterway.
The group “cannot ignore what is happening in the South China Sea as it is an important issue in the relations and cooperation between ASEAN and China,” the statement said.
“We expressed our serious concerns over recent and ongoing developments, which have eroded trust and confidence, increased tensions and which may have the potential to undermine peace, security and stability in the South China Sea,” it said.
The ASEAN statement was issued by Malaysia’s Foreign Ministry to an online chat group, which also sent out the retraction. It was not clear whether an amended statement would be issued, although individual members such as Singapore had issued their own mentioning concerns about the South China Sea.
Asked whether China had objected to the statement, Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang did not answer directly, but said Beijing had been assured that it was not an official ASEAN document and had been retracted.
“If ASEAN wants to officially issue something that represents its stance, it should be agreed upon by all ASEAN members,” Lu told reporters, implying a lack of consensus within the grouping.
While the original statement made no direct accusations against China, it referred to sensitivity over land reclamation in a nod to China’s creation of man-­made islands and the building of airstrips and other infrastructure. The moves are widely seen as an effort to strengthen China’s claims to virtually the entire South China Sea by changing its actual geography and boosting forward troop deployments.
“We emphasized the importance of non-militarization and self-restraint in the conduct of all activities, including land reclamation, which may raise tensions in the South China Sea,” the statement said.
It is unusual for ASEAN to employ such strong language over any regional issue given divisions within the 10-member grouping that includes four countries — Malaysia, Vietnam, Brunei and the Philippines — that directly claim South China Sea islands and waters that China considers its sovereign territory. China’s claim also overlaps with the exclusive economic zone of a fifth member, Indonesia.
The bloc also includes Cambodia and Laos, smaller states over which China exercises considerable influence. They are seen as speaking for China over its insistence that territorial disputes be dealt with through bilateral talks between the nations involved rather than between China and ASEAN as a whole.
China has rejected outside mediation on the sovereignty dispute, denouncing and refusing to take part in a case brought before an international arbitration panel by the Philippines challenging the applicability of Beijing’s territorial claim under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. Christopher Bodeen, Beijing, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Chinese naval ship enters Japanese territorial waters

Next Article

China willing to pay the price of ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • ChinaHeadlines

      Fans of Bruce Lee fondly remember his life philosophy 50 years after his death

      July 21, 2023
      By -
    • China

      Gov’t names veteran diplomat to lead global crime team

      September 16, 2015
      By -
    • China

      China blocks UN sanctions on Pakistani extremist leader

      August 12, 2022
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Hong Kong court denies male status to three transgender men

      February 4, 2019
      By -
    • China

      Wife: Taiwan activist may be forced to plead guilty

      September 11, 2017
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlinesMacau

      Baccarat binge helped launder the world’s biggest cyber-heist

      August 4, 2017
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Asia-Pacific

      Malaysia | Court lets off ‘Budgie 9’ who partied in swimsuits

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Irish community hosts Bloomsday celebration

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Covid-19 | New batch of around 10,000 mRNA vaccines arriving this weekend

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d