MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›Stuck with UK, billionaire Li warns Brexit pain to last years

Stuck with UK, billionaire Li warns Brexit pain to last years

By -
August 12, 2016
1
0
Share:

Billionaire Li Ka-shing Announces Plans To Revamp And Combine Cheung Kong Holdings Ltd. And Hutchison Whampoa Ltd. Businesses

Hong Kong’s richest man, one of the biggest investors in the U.K., hit a setback in his efforts to cut his reliance on Britain and warned the fallout from the nation’s decision to leave the European Union will last for years.
“The withdrawal of the U.K. from the European Union will bring with it considerable challenge both for the U.K. and for Europe for at least the next two to three years,” CK Hutchison Holdings Ltd. Chairman Li Ka-shing wrote in an earnings statement yesterday, his first public remarks on Brexit since the June 23 referendum.
Li has much riding on Britain as the country is the biggest profit generator at the billionaire’s business empire. His comments came hours after the Australian government signaled it would block a bid by one of his units for a local electricity distributor, a deal that could have helped the 88-year-old tycoon diversify away from the U.K.
“After Brexit, investors are keen on knowing what the impact to Li Ka-shing’s companies will be, as there are uncertainties on the U.K.’s economy and currency,” said Alex Au, managing director Alphalex Capital Management in Hong Kong.
The U.K. accounted for 39 percent of CK Hutchison’s earnings before interest and taxes and 21 percent of revenue during the first half of the year. Still, Ebit at those businesses – which include ports, retail, infrastructure and telecommunications – rose 4 percent from a year earlier to HKD11.5 billion (USD1.5 billion).
“We are just a couple of months after Brexit. So far the numbers are pretty good, so we’re cautiously optimistic,” Li’s heir and eldest son, Victor, told analysts in an earnings briefing. “On our existing business, we’ll continue to look at new opportunities. I don’t think we’ll put the U.K. off of our list.”
The Bank of England earlier this month cut the nation’s benchmark interest rate and expanded a stimulus plan as it prepares for a downturn. The central bank also cut its economic growth forecast for next year and 2018, citing concerns about weaker investment and consumption.
Beyond Britain, the billionaire chairman also warned that macroeconomic and geopolitical uncertainties may hinder a global economic recovery and that market volatility will probably drag on through the second half of the year.
In China, the economy is going through “inevitable short-term fluctuations” and Hong Kong will be affected by global uncertainties, Li wrote in a separate earnings statement at his real estate unit, Cheung Kong Property Holdings Ltd., which also reported yesterday.
Still, CK Hutchison and CK Property reported higher earnings in the first half of the year, thanks to growth from the European telecommunications business and Chinese property sales. In light of the challenges ahead, Li wrote that both companies will exercise more discipline.
Hours earlier, the Australian government announced it rejected bids for electricity network Ausgrid from Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings Ltd. and State Grid Corp. of China, amid growing opposition to selling infrastructure assets to overseas investors. Treasurer Scott Morrison told reporters it would undermine national security to allow the offers to proceed in their current form and said the bidders have been given a week to respond.
CKI is continuing to hold talks with the government, Victor Li said. Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Briefs | US seeks to ease Chinese ...

Next Article

China’s insatiable soybean hunger eats into record ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • BusinessChina

      Reinvention and rejuvenation – Foshan seeks new model for success

      November 10, 2014
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Hong Kong postpones leader election amid Covid-19 outbreak

      February 21, 2022
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Villagers reluctant to say goodbye to one of the city’s last squatter settlements

      September 9, 2024
      By -
    • China

      Second-largest pro-democracy party disbands amid political crackdown

      May 30, 2023
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Evergrande ordered to liquidate after failing to restructure over $300 billion debt

      January 30, 2024
      By -
    • China

      Chinese group to buy London Cheesegrater Tower, CoStar says

      March 1, 2017
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Asia-Pacific

      Vietnam | Hanoi urges residents to stop eating dog meat

    • Business

      Swiss lawmakers pick apart Credit Suisse woes ahead of deal

    • Opinion

      World Views | Hezbollah will not escape blame for beirut

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d