MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›This Day in History | 1973 – Royal Navy moves to protect trawlers

This Day in History | 1973 – Royal Navy moves to protect trawlers

By -
May 20, 2015
1
0
Share:

thisday0520Britain has sent in Royal Navy ships to protect trawlers in the disputed Icelandic 50-mile zone as the so-called “cod war” escalates.
Three frigates – the Cleopatra, the Plymouth and the Lincoln – are sailing alongside the British trawlers now fishing in box formation.
The skippers had said they would not return to the seas without naval protection against Icelandic gunboats. They have been cruising the area since Iceland extended its fishing from three to 50 miles eight months ago.
He said the frigates, armed with light guns and rocket missiles, would take “appropriate action” if necessary.
The decision to send in the Navy was made three days ago by the Cabinet Defence and Overseas Policy Committee with the Prime Minister Edward Heath present.
The trawler owners and the skippers had disagreed over whether or not to accept naval assistance.
The trawler owners feared that the Royal Navy’s presence would restrict fishing as happened some 13 years ago during the first cod war.
But they have since agreed to let the frigates accompany the fishing boats because three tugs – the Statesman, the Irishman and the Lloydsman – would also be present and allow the trawlers to fish more freely.
The Icelandic ambassador in London, Niel Siguurdsson, said last night he was “surprised and disappointed” by the move.
Last week, the British ambassador, Sir Ian MacKenzie, failed to get assurances from Iceland’s prime minister, Olafur Johannesson, that its ships would stop threatening British trawlers.

Courtesy BBC News

In context

Iceland has extended its territorial waters three times since the end of the 1950s to protect its fishermen and their main catch of Atlantic cod from foreign fleets.
On each occasion, Icelandic patrol boats trying to enforce the new limits clashed on the high seas with British trawlers and naval vessels.
This second cod war ended after the intervention of NATO with a two-year agreement limiting British trawlers to certain areas within the 50-mile limit.
Britain also agreed that its vessels would not catch more than 130,000 tonnes of fish a year.
This agreement expired on 13 November 1975, when Iceland again extended its fishing to 200 miles (332km) and the third cod war began.
Nato again helped negotiated an end to the dispute on 6 June 1976.
Britain was limited to using 24 trawlers within a 200-mile zone at any one time for an annual catch of up to 50,000 tonnes.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Offbeat | ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ actor ...

Next Article

USA | Violence long simmered between rival ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      Dream US apartments for USD582 a month only for starving artists

      November 23, 2015
      By -
    • World

      This Day in History | 1981 Prince Charles and Lady Di to marry

      February 24, 2016
      By -
    • World

      Offbeat | Boston official says Bieber graffiti tweet was sarcasm

      November 5, 2015
      By -
    • World

      This day in history | 1972 Chancellor orders pound flotation

      June 23, 2021
      By -
    • World

      This Day in History | 1971 – Seals shot by government decree

      July 15, 2015
      By -
    • World

      World Briefs

      April 7, 2020
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • China

      China tops global supercomputer speed list for seventh year

    • Macau

      DSEDJ ‘encourages’ local institutions to assist with transfers amid Harvard incident

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Sheldon Adelson retains title of wealthiest casino boss

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d