MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›This Day in history | 1998 US embassies in Africa bombed

This Day in history | 1998 US embassies in Africa bombed

By -
August 7, 2018
0
0
Share:

At least 200 people have been killed and more than 1,000 injured following explosions at United States embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

The bombings took place within minutes of each other at around 1030 local time.

No-one has claimed responsibility but US officials suspect the attacks were the work of Osama bin Laden, an Islamic fundamentalist.

The first blast happened in the Tanzanian capital Dar es Salaam and the second, just five minutes later, in Nairobi, Kenya’s capital city.

The Nairobi explosion demolished a five-story office block sending it crashing onto the embassy next door.

The US Ambassador Prudence Bushnell was meeting Kenyan Trade Minister Joseph Kamotho at the nearby Ufundi Cooperative Bank at the time but was only slightly injured.

The blast could be heard 10 miles (16km) away and caused total chaos in the city centre.

Rufus Drabble, from the British High Commission, said there was a cloud of thick smoke over the city and helicopters hovered overhead.

The US embassy was extensively damaged and its bomb-proof doors were ripped off. Two passing buses were also wrecked.

Volunteers worked furiously to pull survivors from the rubble and cranes have been brought in to free people who are trapped at the bomb site.

There was also widespread devastation in Dar es Salaam, where a BBC correspondent said the embassy reception area had been destroyed.

Survivor Jim Owens said the blast at the Tanzanian embassy threw him back about five feet (1.5m).

He said: “The cuts I have do not look that bad but they bled profusely.

“They bled over my glasses so I couldn’t see as I was walking around the smoke-filled embassy.”

US President Bill Clinton has condemned the attacks as “abhorrent” and said every effort would be made to catch the bombers.

He said that the US was sending counter-terrorism experts and medical teams to the region. A team of US marines is also flying there to bolster security along with FBI agents.

“These acts of terrorist violence are abhorrent, they are inhuman,” Mr Clinton said at the White House press conference.

“We will use all the means at our disposal to bring those responsible to justice,” he added.

Mr Clinton said flags at all US government buildings would be flown at half-mast as a mark of respect to the victims.

Courtesy BBC News

In context

The Kenyans were ill-equipped to deal with such a huge disaster.

It wasn’t until an Israeli search and rescue team arrived that the last bodies were retrieved and the final death toll known – 207 Kenyans and 12 US citizens in Nairobi.

Another 11 lives were lost in the Tanzanian bombing. Altogether more than 4,000 people were injured.

Four men linked to al-Qaeda were convicted and jailed for life for the attacks in May 2001. They were Mohamed Rashed Daoud al-’Owhali, Khalfan Khamis Mohamed, Wadih al-Hage and Mohamed Sadeek Odeh.

A memorial park was opened in Nairobi on 7 August 2001 to commemorate the victims of the blast.

The US spent $4.3 million helping bomb victims and rebuilding central Nairobi but some survivors felt it was not enough. They tried and failed to sue the US Government for compensation.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Football – Premier League 2018-19 | Five ...

Next Article

Offbeat | Lonely man befriends wild turkey ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      The Buzz | US nursing home deaths in 2020 much higher: study

      September 10, 2021
      By -
    • World

      Having elected House speaker, Republicans try governing

      January 11, 2023
      By -
    • World

      World briefs

      July 26, 2018
      By -
    • World

      World briefs

      January 27, 2015
      By -
    • World

      This Day in History | 1993 – Activists lose battle over chestnut tree

      December 7, 2016
      By -
    • World

      Finland | President skates to overwhelming re-election win

      January 30, 2018
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Sports

      T-wolves owner: A-Rod, partner in agreement to buy NBA club

    • Macau

      GBA Cultural Heritage Forum to promote cultural assets

    • HeadlinesSports

      Euro 2016 | Ronaldo leads Portugal to 2-0 win vs Wales, into second final

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d