MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›This Day in History | 2002 – Dozens killed in Bali nightclub explosion

This Day in History | 2002 – Dozens killed in Bali nightclub explosion

By -
October 12, 2018
1
0
Share:

Reports from the Indonesian holiday island of Bali say more than 50 people have been killed in two explosions.

At least 10 foreigners died and more than 120 people were injured – including tourists from Australia, the US, Britain and Europe.

One of the bombs exploded at a nightclub in Kuta Beach, the island’s main tourist resort.

Another smaller explosion occurred in nearby Denpasar, Bali’s capital, close to the United States Honorary Consulate.

Local police say bomb squad officers are investigating, although the cause of the explosions has not been confirmed.

The explosion in Kuta occurred at about 2330 local time when the bars would have been packed with tourists.

Witnesses say the blast destroyed the Sari Club and the resulting fire then engulfed a neighbouring bar, Paddy’s Irish Club.

Other buildings and several cars were also damaged in the blast and ensuing fire.

One witness, Richard Poore, a cameraman for a New Zealand TV company, said the force of the explosion was so strong it severely damaged his hotel nearly 1km away.

“The windows of the hotel blew out, the upper floors have lost their ceilings and dropped in and there was an incredible amount of smoke in the sky.”

Mr Poore explained that his “first instinct was to run up the road with a camera” to film the scenes of devastation.

“I have just never seen anything like it. It was horrendous. Total carnage,” he said.

The US embassy in Jakarta has issued a series of warnings in recent weeks that its nationals could be targeted by Islamic militants linked to the al-Qaeda terror group.

The embassy itself closed for several days last month after intelligence reports indicated militant groups were planning car bomb attacks.

Indonesian officials have in the past denied that militants linked to al-Qaeda are active in the country.

Known as the Island of the Gods, Bali is a popular holiday resort – 1.5 million tourists visited in 2001.

Courtesy BBC News

In context

A huge car bomb killed 202 people, mainly Australians. No injuries occurred in the American consulate explosion.

The dead and injured came from as many as 24 different countries.

The regional Islamic group Jemaah Islamiah (JI), was named as a key suspect in the 2003 Bali bomb. JI has alleged links to al-Qaeda.

Three men were sentenced to death for the bombings – Amrozi bin Nurhasyim, his brother Mukhlas and Imam Samudra. Ali Imron was sentenced to life imprisonment.

More than a dozen others were given lengthy jail sentences for their part in the plot.

On 1 October 2005 Bali was targetted again when three suicide bombers blew themselves up in tourist areas killing at least 19 people, mostly Indonesians. Jemaah Islamiah is once more suspected of carrying out this attack.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Football | Monaco fires Jardim after poor ...

Next Article

Offbeat | Giant hammer artwork stolen in ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      Brexit | UK lawmakers back bill to trigger EU exit talks

      February 3, 2017
      By -
    • World

      Senate Republicans seek support for Trump’s big bill in overnight session

      July 2, 2025
      By -
    • World

      French prime minister supports burkini bans, urges calm

      August 18, 2016
      By -
    • World

      This Day in History | 1999 – UN force arrives in East Timor

      September 20, 2018
      By -
    • World

      Offbeat | Country artists condemn LGBT laws, but labels silent

      April 14, 2016
      By -
    • World

      This Day in History | 1972 – President Nixon arrives in Moscow

      May 22, 2015
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Asia-Pacific

      Bangladesh | Bank chief quits amid USD101 million hacking uproar

    • World

      US says China is a threat to Panama Canal, spurring fiery response from Beijing

    • Macau

      No injuries from TurboJET fire

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d