MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›Yacht with three Russians, TWO Egyptians missing in Red Sea: Report
Yemen

Yacht with three Russians, TWO Egyptians missing in Red Sea: Report

By -
April 25, 2023
0
0
Share:

A yacht carrying three Russians and two Egyptians reportedly went missing days ago off the coast of Yemen in the Red Sea. Its owner alleged yesterday that armed pirates took the vessel.

The reported disappearance of the 30 Minutes, a 62-foot yacht registered in Panama to a Russian based in Dubai, comes as other vessels have faced attacks from Yemen’s Iranian-backed Houthi rebels amid the war tearing apart the Arab world’s poorest nation.

However, the Houthis did not immediately acknowledge taking the vessel and details about the ship remain scarce.

The 30 Minutes last sent location data showing that it was off Farasan Island near Jazan, Saudi Arabia, on April 19, owner Dmitriy Chuguevskiy told The Associated Press. The vessel then disappeared, not reaching Djibouti, where it had been scheduled to arrive, he said.

Chuguevskiy said the ship did not carry an Automatic Identification System transponder, which is standard for ships moving through dangerous or busy waterways.

On Sunday, the Russian Embassy in Saudi Arabia issued a statement saying that “radio contact was lost with the ship.”

“In cooperation with the Saudi authorities, we continue to take all necessary actions to clarify the fate of the missing ship, as well as to provide prompt assistance to Russian citizens on board,” the embassy said.

Chuguevskiy, however, alleged that the 30 Minutes’ Egyptian captain had been able to make a distress call, heard by Saudi authorities, saying the vessel was under attack by armed pirates.

“Our assumption is they got kidnapped,” Chuguevskiy said.

It remains to be seen what action, if any, Saudi officials took after the claimed distress call. The Saudi government did not immediately respond to a request for comment from the AP.

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations, a British military watch over Mideast shipping, said its staff had been “made aware of an incident in the area and are carrying out (an) investigation.” A European Union anti-piracy patrol in the region, called Operation Atalanta, said it was “monitoring the situation in order to clarify the event due to the lack of reliable information about it.”

Cmdr. Timothy Hawkins, a spokesman for the U.S. Navy’s Mideast-based 5th Fleet, told the AP that it too was aware of the “reporting suggesting the vessel is missing and are now looking into the situation.”

“U.S. 5th Fleet did not receive a distress call from this vessel,” Hawkins said.

The Houthis have carried out other at-sea attacks amid Yemen’s long war. In January 2022, the Houthis seized the Emirati ship Rwabee. The Houthis described the vessel as carrying military weapons, while the Saudi-led coalition described it as carrying disassembled hospital equipment. The ship and its Indian crew were later released.

In May, the Lakota, a 62-foot trimaran purchased by famed French yachtsman Philippe Poupon, found itself attacked off the coast of Hodeida, Yemen. Militants fired some 20 warning shots and displayed assault rifles and the rocket-propelled grenade launchers. One briefly boarded the ship before fleeing.

A Saudi-led coalition has been battling the Houthis since March 2015. However, a recent prisoner swap has raised hopes of a formal armistice between them. MDT/AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsYemen
Previous Article

Watchdog: World military spending up to ...

Next Article

Lilia Vu wins first major at Chevron ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      Report claims Yemen’s Houthis have hypersonic missile

      March 15, 2024
      By -
    • World

      Israel shoots down a missile fired from Yemen hours after strike on Houthi rebels

      July 22, 2024
      By -
    • World

      Saudis bomb Yemen port over weapons shipment from UAE

      December 31, 2025
      By -
    • World

      US, British launch new round of joint strikes against multiple Houthi sites in Yemen

      January 24, 2024
      By -
    • World

      Al-Qaida’s Yemen branch says leader Khalid al-Batarfi dead in unclear circumstances

      March 12, 2024
      By -
    • World

      Yemen | President negotiates ceasefire to end Sana’a fighting

      January 20, 2015
      By -

    • Macau

      Most of Iranian team left Australia after declining last-minute airport asylum offers

    • ChinaHeadlines

      Hong Kong | Pro-independence party faces possible ban

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Education: Sports | DSEJ, ID jointly organize ‘Summer Vacation Activities’

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d