MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›IS group says it has killed Chinese, Norwegian captives

IS group says it has killed Chinese, Norwegian captives

By -
November 19, 2015
1
0
Share:
Ole Johan Grimsgaard-Ofstad

Ole Johan Grimsgaard-Ofstad and Fan Jinghui

The Islamic State group said yesterday that it has killed Chinese and Norwegian captives after earlier demanding ransoms for the two men.
The extremist group published two images of the men in the second-to-last page of its glossy English-language magazine, saying they had been “executed after being abandoned by kafir nations and organizations.” ‘’Kafir” is the Arabic word for infidel. In the images, the men both appeared to have been shot to death.
There was no immediate reaction in Beijing to the announcement, nor from the state-run Xinhua news agency.
The Norwegian prime minister’s office could not confirm the death. Its spokeswoman Trude Maseide told the Norwegian news agency NTB that there are “published photos that indicate that the hostage Ole Johan Grimsgaard-Ofstad has been executed. We are trying to get it verified and will come back with further information.”
Grimsgaard-Ofstad has previously been identified as a 48-year-old graduate student in political philosophy from Porsgrunn, south of Oslo. The Chinese man had been identified as Fan Jinghui, 50, a self-described “wanderer” from Beijing who once taught middle school.
The militants did not say when or where the two were captured when announcing their captivity in a previous issue of the magazine, which showed them in yellow jumpsuits. However, the last post on Grimsgaard-Ofstad’s Facebook page, dated Jan. 24, said he had arrived in Idlib, Syria, on his way to Hama.
The IS group controls large areas in Iraq and Syria. The killing of the two men stood in contrast to other filmed beheadings and atrocities carried out by the group since it seized a third of Iraq in a lightning advance in 2014.
The demand for a cash ransom also stood in contrast to the group’s other hostage demands, though journalists, aid workers and others have been abducted for ransom by a variety of militants in the Syrian civil war. Some were later sold to the Islamic State group.
Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg had told journalists in September her nation would not pay a ransom.
The announced killings come as Islamic State militants face increasing airstrikes from a variety of countries, including the U.S., Russia and France, as well as ground attacks from Kurdish and other forces.
The group’s online magazine, which is titled “Dabiq” after a town in Syria, contains articles, interviews, opinion pieces and other propaganda. It has a professional layout, complete with photos and graphics. The latest issue celebrates the Paris attacks on its cover with the headline “Just Terror.” Joseph Krauss and Jon Gambrell, Cairo , AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

McDonald’s controversially opens in historic KMT-linked residence

Next Article

Corporate Bits | Sheraton Macao launches festive ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • China

      Chinese developer risking liquidation if creditors veto its plan for handling huge debts

      December 4, 2023
      By -
    • China

      China bans seafood from Japan after the Fukushima plant begins its wastewater release

      August 25, 2023
      By -
    • China

      Chinese-born journalist thanks Australia for her freedom

      October 13, 2023
      By -
    • China

      Gui Minhai case | Swedish foreign ministry investigates ambassador to China

      February 15, 2019
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      World Heritage | Section of Great Wall marred in name of restoration

      September 23, 2016
      By -
    • China

      Mainland Viagra sales continue rising

      May 5, 2015
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Business

      Apple bows to the Chinese market again with latest iPhones

    • Asia-Pacific

      Rights groups urge Sri Lanka not to use force on protesters

    • BusinessCorporate BitsMGM

      MGM enchants Chinese New Year with melodies by A-Lin

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d