MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›90% of positive cases sent to quarantine hotels
Covid-19 Outbreak

90% of positive cases sent to quarantine hotels

By Renato Marques, MDT
July 7, 2022
0
0
Share:

Of the 1,087 positives cases reported by the health authorities up to midnight of July 5, some 900 have been referred to isolation in quarantine hotels, the deputy director of the Conde de São Januário Hospital Center (CHCSJ), Dr. Lei Wai Seng, said at the Novel Coronavirus Response and Coordination Center press briefing yesterday.

Lei´s comments came in response to a media inquiry on the clinical situation of all the patients and the apparent lack of enforcement of contingency plans previously presented by the same authorities to face a potential outbreak of Covid-19.

The representative from the public hospital explained that the authorities have felt, so far, that there was no need to enforce such plans, since the large majority of the cases are of people without any symptoms (660) and, of the remaining 427, a very large group also presented with symptoms that did not require any medical care.

“Until this moment, and after activating the treatment community center (at the East Asian Games Dome), we saw that it contributed to the effective relief of the emergency services of [CHCSJ] hospital,” said Lei.

So, since our services are working smoothly, we decided not to enforce other measures [such as the makeshift hospital]. I can say that 80 to 90% of all the patients are forwarded to quarantine hotels. Over 900 are in quarantine in hotels and they only need basic services and medicines, which is enough for them. They require no particular medical care,” Lei added, noting that this Omicron strain is not likely to create severe problems in society unless those infected have chronic diseases.

“Those that have special needs are the people with chronic diseases and the hospitals will take care of them, because their situation can easily become serious. The Public Health Clinical Centre in Coloane is only taking care of severe patients,” Lei remarked.

He also announced that, yesterday, two cases of infected patients with chronic diseases  have been sent to the Public Health Center to evaluate their situation.

According to the doctor, both patients have kidney failure that requires constant hemodialysis and other treatments but, so far, “We are only providing them with a general service, nothing really special, we are not even medicating them with antiviral medicines. We will continue to monitor their health condition.”

Of those patients whose clinical presentation is serious, Lei said that there are four people hospitalized who require the use of ventilators, noting that in two of these cases, they were already using ventilators before being infected with Covid-19, and for some years prior due to their chronic illnesses.

Only one patient is considered to be at high risk, “but his condition is also improving,” the same official noted.

Lei noted that there are now also three women who pregnant. One of them is at the beginning of the gestational period and two are mid-gestation. None have presented any problems. Two of them are being moved from the hospital into quarantine hotels for not presenting with symptoms that require medical care.

The third is in the 38th week of gestation and has been placed under medical observation in quarantine as a precautionary measure because her husband tested positive and she has been listed as a close contact only.

As for children, seven of them are aged under one year old and 18 are aged between two and three years old.

According to Lei, all are under both medical and parental care and none present with any concerning symptoms for the time being.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsCovid-19
Previous Article

Linda Chen to helm Wynn Macau in ...

Next Article

Shanghai, Beijing order new round of mass ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Opinion

      Opinion | Conferences work better when everyone stays home

      July 22, 2020
      By -
    • Macau

      Unemployment, Covid-19, and tourism – a difficult knot to untie

      November 16, 2022
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      30,000 people in two new key areas, NAT required

      July 26, 2022
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Breaking NewsChina

      The Latest: Swiss officials confirm first coronavirus death

      March 5, 2020
      By -
    • Breaking NewsChina

      Ignoring experts, China’s sudden zero-Covid exit cost lives

      March 21, 2023
      By -
    • Breaking NewsHeadlinesMacau

      38th confirmed case is another UK returnee

      March 30, 2020
      By Daniel Beitler, MDT

    • World

      This Day in History: 1953 East German purge begins

    • China

      Law draft threatens 15 days of jail for improper anthem use

    • Forum

      Angola | Resurgent textile industry helps diversify economy

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d