MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›Beijing envoy vows ‘fight’ over alleged Xinjiang rights abuses

Beijing envoy vows ‘fight’ over alleged Xinjiang rights abuses

By -
September 23, 2022
0
0
Share:

Xu Guixiang, director of the information office of Xinjiang autonomous region speaks during a Human Rights Council meeting in Geneva, yesterday

An envoy from China’s Xinjiang province said yesterday that Chinese authorities are ready for a “fight” with “anti-China” critics in the West and elsewhere over allegations of rights abuses in the anti-extremism campaign against Uyghurs and other Muslim ethnic groups in the region.

Xinjiang government spokesman Xu Guixiang said Chinese authorities won’t be afraid if “anti-China forces” attempt to use the ongoing Human Rights Council meeting in Geneva to seek greater scrutiny of the situation in Xinjiang.

Xu has spoken repeatedly in defense of China’s policies designed to fight violent extremism in Xinjiang. This week he is heading a delegation in Geneva to take the message to the rights office and diplomats at the 47-member state council, of which both China and the United States are currently members.

Some Western nations are trying to maintain international scrutiny of the rights situation through the council after the U.N. rights office issued a scathing new report last month that alleged “crimes against humanity” had taken place in Xinjiang in recent years. Such Western efforts could come through a draft resolution or other steps at the council.

“If some forces in the international community — or even anti-China forces — make so-called ‘Xinjiang-related motions’ or so-called ‘resolutions,’ we won’t be afraid,” Xu said. “We will take countermeasures resolutely and fight.”

Xu acknowledged, in a somewhat unusual admission: “Of course, the human rights situation in Xinjiang is in a process of further improving and making more efforts,” before adding, “but there is no such thing as the massive violation of human rights as claimed by the Xinjiang report.”

He said China is looking for “exchange, dialogue and cooperation” and hopes to “learn from the beneficial measures taken by other countries in the world” on human rights. But Xu also insisted unspecified “human rights disasters” perpetrated by Western countries should be investigated, too.

In the waning minutes of her last day in office on Aug. 31, the office of Michelle Bachelet, the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights, issued a report accusing China of serious human rights violations against Uyghurs and other mostly Muslim ethnic groups. It called on the world community to give “urgent attention” to the situation in Xinjiang.

However, Beijing has vehemently condemned Bachelet’s assessment. In  its response to the U.N. rights agency, China’s government attached a 131-page own report of the situation in Xinjiang.

JAMEY KEATEN, GENEVA, MDT/AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Former Chinese justice minister jailed for corruption

Next Article

Lawmaker calls on gov’t to ensure high-quality ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • China

      Prime Minister Luxon talks trade in meeting with Xi

      June 23, 2025
      By -
    • Breaking NewsChina

      Taiwanese pay respects to former President Lee Teng-hui

      August 1, 2020
      By -
    • China

      Survivor found almost six days after China building collapse

      May 6, 2022
      By -
    • China

      Chinese developer risking liquidation if creditors veto its plan for handling huge debts

      December 4, 2023
      By -
    • China

      China students return home amid Covid travel spread fears

      December 14, 2022
      By -
    • China

      Tsang defends Hong Kong economy after Moody’s outlook cut

      March 14, 2016
      By -

    • OpinionOur Desk

      Our Desk | Who cares for the ‘common people’?

    • World

      This Day in History | 1991 – US Congress votes for war in Iraq

    • World

      French PM suspends a controversial pension reform to avoid government collapse

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d