MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›CCAC probes weather bureau over Hato forecast, mismanagement

CCAC probes weather bureau over Hato forecast, mismanagement

By Lynzy Valles, MDT
August 29, 2017
1
0
Share:

The Commission Against Corruption (CCAC) has initiated an inquiry into the procedures of the Meteorological and Geophysical Bureau (SMG) for typhoon forecasting and internal management of the bureau, namely to determine the responsibility of disgraced director Fong Soi Kun over allegations of disregarding the Typhoon Prediction Procedures.

In a statement, the graft buster says it has “received a large number of complaints” in which there are suspicions regarding the prediction of typhoons by the SMG, requesting the intervention of the CCAC to investigate any illegalities or irregularities. The CCAC recalls that last year following Typhoon Nida, in which Signal 8 was not hoisted, they investigated the weather bureau but “did not detect any gross violation of legal provisions.”

However, the statement reads, the investigators noted then, “some problems in typhoon forecasting procedures and in the criteria adopted by the SGM as well as in the internal management of the service.”

One such group that called yesterday for an investigation into the bureau and its former chief was the Association of Synergy of Macao. The association handed a letter to the office of the Chief Executive, calling for the government to investigate the management of the aftermath of Typhoon Hato, including an investigation into Fong.

The association believes that it has the responsibility to urge the government to review the distressing lessons brought by Typhoon Hato, with practical and objective progress in mind.

The association also called for a formation of a group of society leaders across different professions, to assist the government in improving its crisis management, and requested a mechanism in which important information could be disseminated to the public swiftly.

“We are asking the CE to open an investigation [into] Fong Soi Kun because his resignation is not enough. […] He needs to pick up the responsibility and not just resign,” said Johnson Ian, vice director of the association.

Ian lamented that Fong served the government for some 30 years and it would be inappropriate should no disciplinary actions are taken, citing the untimely typhoon forecast signals leading up to Hato.

As the group is calling for the government to review the law and its regulations on crisis management, it also condemned the newly launched committee of the CE, as its members mostly consist of the five secretaries of the executive.

“The [new] committee is not enough,” he complained. “They cannot investigate by themselves. We want more commissioners and other experts to get into the committee to really see what is wrong with the system,” Ian added.

The government launched a committee yesterday to review its crisis response mechanism, following the disaster brought by Typhoon Hato.

The committee aims to assist the administration in reviewing and creating crisis management projects to respond to catastrophes, including the improvement of works on meteorological forecasting and the reinforcement of civil coordination protection.

Some of the listed competences of the committee include the promotion of a reasonable distribution of resources and coordination between the government and civil society, and to elaborate the general plan of crisis management. The committee will also coordinate general planning and construction of the region’s infrastructure, and will conduct public consultation until September 11.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsHatoTyphoon
Previous Article

Macau might include anthem education in schools

Next Article

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 – edition no. ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Typhoon Saola to bring heavy rain to southern Taiwan on its way to China’s coast

      August 30, 2023
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Strongest typhoon since 1949 hits Shanghai and knocks out power to some homes

      September 17, 2024
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Storm-weary country forcibly evacuates thousands as another typhoon hits

      November 12, 2024
      By -
    • Breaking NewsHeadlinesMacau

      Weather bureau to lower signal to T3 at 7pm

      October 13, 2020
      By Daniel Beitler, MDT
    • Asia-Pacific

      Typhoon Man-yi leaves seven dead, worsens crisis from back-to-back storms

      November 19, 2024
      By -
    • Macau

      Typhoon Ma-on SMG may hoist T1 tonight

      August 23, 2022
      By -

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Group foresees Chinese religious events to remain small

    • Macau

      CRIME | Man accused of drugging and raping woman

    • Sports

      Benfica wins 4th straight Portuguese league title

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d