MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›Chinese woman brought to US as nanny treated like slave

Chinese woman brought to US as nanny treated like slave

By -
July 18, 2016
1
0
Share:
Slave Nanny

This photo provided by the Washington County Jail shows Lili Huang

A Minnesota woman is charged with beating and starving a woman she brought from China to work as a nanny, holding her in a state of “slavery or indentured servitude,” a prosecutor said.
Lili Huang, 35, of Woodbury is charged in Washington County with five felony counts, including labor trafficking, false imprisonment and assault. Huang remains in jail after making her initial court appearance Friday, the Star Tribune reported.
The 58-year-old woman, who is not named in the complaint, arrived in the U.S. on a visa in late March. According to the complaint, the nanny was forced to work up to 18 hours a day doing child care, cooking and cleaning. Police calculate her pay at about USD1.80 an hour, but she apparently did not receive any of it.
The woman recently was found wandering in the street, her eyes blackened. A hospital exam found she had many broken bones.
She was rationed crackers for meals and her weight had dropped from 120 pounds when she arrived in the U.S. to 88 pounds, the complaint said.
The woman was never allowed to leave the house, the complaint said. The nanny told a police investigator she eventually fled the house when Huang threatened to kill her with a knife. She told police she was looking for the airport so she could go home to China, the complaint said.
Washington County prosecutor Pete Orput said the nanny was held in appalling conditions, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported.
Dan Le, a Minneapolis attorney for Huang, did not immediately respond to a phone message and email from The Associated Press on Saturday.
Police from four cities and agents from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security searched Huang’s home and arrested her, the complaint said.
A bag hidden under the nanny’s mattress contained a large amount of her hair, which Huang allegedly ripped from the woman’s head. The nanny had been hiding it so Huang wouldn’t find it “and force her to eat it,” the complaint said. AP

PRC to prosecute rights lawyer, 3 activists for subversion

A human rights lawyer and three activists have been indicted on subversion charges, Chinese prosecutors said Friday, signaling that an unprecedented crackdown on legal activism that began one year ago continues despite international criticism.
The prosecutors’ office of the municipality of Tianjin posted on its microblog that Zhou Shifeng, a lawyer who heads a Beijing-based firm seen as being at the center of the security sweep, has been charged with subversion of state power. Three activists were indicted on the same charge, the prosecutors’ office said.
The vaguely defined charge carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.
China launched its largest-ever crackdown against human rights lawyers and activists on July 9, 2015, seizing and questioning hundreds of people nationwide in a campaign that sent a chill through the country’s legal system. Nearly two dozen of them remain in detention and face charges, including subversion and inciting subversion of state power.
Rights groups say the activists are being targeted for organizing protests and social media campaigns to raise awareness of legal rights and hot-button social issues.
On the one-year anniversary of the crackdown last week, overseas bar associations and lawyers’ groups issued an open letter to Chinese President Xi Jinping criticizing the detentions. The letter adds to international expressions of concern, including from some Western governments, over the crackdown. AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Cities’ expansion plans could house 3.4b people

Next Article

Corporate Bits | Grand Coloane to host ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • China

      Teacher allowed additional child now ordered to abort

      May 20, 2015
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlinesInterview

      Exclusive Interview | Wong says China rise means trade trumps rights

      November 2, 2017
      By -
    • China

      Chinese firm buys UK’s Pizza Express chain

      July 14, 2014
      By -
    • China

      Biden to meet China’s Xi today for Taiwan, Russia talks

      November 14, 2022
      By -
    • China

      FT: Party uses prison visits to scare officials straight

      May 26, 2015
      By -
    • China

      US concerned with Chinese firm’s hand in island-building near its Manila embassy

      August 3, 2023
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Asia-PacificHeadlines

      Coca-Cola in North Korea? It’s (usually not) the Real Thing

    • Asia-Pacific

      Report | Mekong effort fails after years of lavish foreign funding

    • Macau

      Tourism Office bets on family travel

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d