MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Business
Home›Business›Disney teases ‘Star Wars’ hotel in park investment flurry

Disney teases ‘Star Wars’ hotel in park investment flurry

By -
July 17, 2017
0
0
Share:

The Walt Disney Co. “Star Wars” lands 3-D model is unveiled ahead of the D23 Expo in Anaheim, California

Walt Disney Co. said it will build an immersive “Star Wars” hotel at its resort in Orlando, Florida, as part of a flurry of investments announced Saturday by the company’s theme-park division.

Disney revealed the two “Star Wars” themed lands it is building will be called Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, with the one at Disneyland in Anaheim, California, set to open first in 2019 and the Orlando one opening later that same year.

Disney parks and resorts division chairman Bob Chapek made the announcement Saturday at the company’s D23 Expo, a biennial event for fans held at the Anaheim Convention Center, near the company’s Disneyland and California Adventure parks. Theme parks are Disney’s second-
largest division after television. The company has been investing heavily in the business on the premise that park attractions can’t easily be copied by competitors or made obsolete by new technology.

“There’s no virtual-reality experience in the world that’s going to replicate what you get physically by walking down that Main Street,” Chapek said earlier this year in reference to one of Disneyland’s signature features.

The theme-park business is betting heavily on its own characters, much as Disney’s movie division began to rely more on company-
owned intellectual property following the acquisitions of Marvel Entertainment in 2009 and Lucasfilm in 2012.

A ride based on the film “Tron” that has been a hit at Disney’s new Shanghai resort will be replicated at Orlando’s Magic Kingdom park. The Paradise Pier at Disney’s California Adventure park in Anaheim will be revamped with a Pixar theme. That same park will get Spider-Man and Avengers attractions in a new Super Hero land.

Epcot, the Florida park that opened in 1982 as kind of a permanent world fair, is getting new attractions designed to turn it into more of a traditional amusement park. An attraction based on the Pixar film “Ratatouille” will be built near the base of the Eiffel Tower and a new thrill ride tied to the Marvel franchise “Guardians of the Galaxy” will be added.

The Burbank, California-based company announced a new cruise ship, the Disney Riviera hotel in Orlando, and a gondola-based transportation system that will connect its Epcot and Hollywood Studios parks with some of the nearby Disney hotels.

Disney is experimenting with ways to shorten wait times for popular rides. Starting on July 19, the company will allow Anaheim park guests to reserve a time to jump on its shorter “FastPass” lines for an extra USD10 a day. Parkgoers in Orlando have already had that ability, although without an additional charge.

Elsewhere at the D23 Expo, Disney gave fans a sneak peak of a new augmented reality game that features a lightsaber and a headset made by Lenovo Group Ltd. It will allow players to conduct virtual sword fights in their homes. The latest installment of the series, “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” hits theaters December 15. Christopher Palmeri, Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Feature | Las Vegas, New York casinos ...

Next Article

Briefs | Wynn announces special bonus for ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Business

      Mainland, foreign film producers sign deals worth USD2.3b

      April 21, 2015
      By -
    • Business

      Real Estate Matters | Does your property pass the smell test?

      November 9, 2018
      By -
    • Business

      Corporate Bits | Second Pro boxing extravaganza coming to Shanghai

      November 25, 2014
      By -
    • Business

      Nestle adds Chinese water brands to list of possible disposals

      July 23, 2020
      By -
    • Business

      From AI and inflation to Musk and Swift

      December 29, 2023
      By -
    • Business

      Real Estate Matters | The best places to live in Macau Part 3

      April 22, 2016
      By -

    • HeadlinesMacau

      SMG hopes public can understand inaccuracies of weather forecasting

    • World

      Trump becomes 1st sitting US leader to enter North Korea

    • Macau

      Briefs | Non-local worker died from work accident

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d