MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Gov’t enforces restrictions on cash handouts to exclude some not living in Macau
Subsidies

Gov’t enforces restrictions on cash handouts to exclude some not living in Macau

By Renato Marques, MDT
May 30, 2025
1
0
Share:

For the first time in its 17–year existence, the government’s Wealth Partaking Scheme – which distributes cash handouts to residents yearly – has been amended.

Following public outcry that the government should use public funds more wisely and allocate them only to those residing full time in Macau, the Executive Council (ExCo) yesterday presented a new version of the scheme that includes a provision excluding those who did not stay in Macau for at least 183 days in 2024.

As the Secretary for Administration and Justice and spokesperson for the ExCo, André Cheong noted during a press conference at Government Headquarters, there are eight exceptions to the “183 days” rule.

These include: those who have not reached 22 years of age by Dec. 31, 2024, with at least one eligible parent for the handout; those receiving disability or subsidy allowances as of Dec. 31, 2024; those abroad enrolled in tertiary education programs; and those hospitalized abroad; those over 65 living in mainland China or under 65 due to health reasons.

Exceptions also apply to those working abroad for local companies and registered with the Social Welfare Fund locally; those working abroad who are responsible for their families’ livelihood in Macau; civil servants or public officials on official duty abroad; those living, working or studying in the Hengqin Cooperation Zone; and those working in any of the nine mainland municipalities of the Greater Bay Area (GBA).

Asked about the topic by the media, Cheong said the government does not yet know how many residents will be affected by the new measures. He stated that only after people initially deemed ineligible begin to appeal the decision and submit documentary proof can the authorities compile accurate statistics.

In response to repeated questions, Cheong said the government has a preliminary figure but refused to share it, claiming it might not be accurate.

He noted that last year, the scheme reached 753,000 people. According to Chong Seng Sam, deputy director of the Financial Services Bureau, 162,000 of those handouts were dispatched to areas outside Macau.

As previously announced, the handout amounts remain unchanged, with permanent residents receiving 10,000 patacas and nonpermanent residents receiving 6,000 patacas.

Savings to be redirected to those in need

Cheong remarked that more than simply saving resources, the measure aims to reallocate the money “saved” on cash handouts to other benefits, particularly subsidies for residents with greater needs.

He reaffirmed that the money will not be returned to government reserves but will be used within the year on programs and initiatives for the underprivileged.

Preserving the scheme’s original purpose

In response to several media questions, especially regarding the exclusion of individuals who have lived and worked in Macau for years but now reside elsewhere, Cheong said the government is aiming to preserve the scheme’s original purpose.

He recalled that when the scheme launched in 2008, its goal was to help residents in Macau cope with the hardships of the global financial crisis and the rising cost of rent and daily goods amid a booming casino-driven economy.

“We are not contradicting the idea of the original plan. We are sticking to the intention and purpose of the scheme. This was intended to help alleviate the difficulties faced by those living in Macau. Those abroad are living under different economic conditions and might not experience the same challenges that justify the distribution of funds locally,” he said, adding that the government wants to restrict access to local financial resources to those with “strong links to Macau.”

Public opinion factored in

Justifying the amendment, Cheong said, “After listening to the opinions of society, and considering the provisions on the extraordinary distribution of budget balances contained in Law No. 7/2017 (Non-mandatory Central Provident Fund Scheme), the Macau SAR government has drawn up the administrative regulation on the Wealth Partaking Scheme for 2025, which sets out the requirements and procedures for applying for the handout.”

Asked by the media about the scope of public opinion – and the lack of a formal consultation – Cheong responded, “We have been listening to public views for some time. As mentioned during this year’s Policy Address, the government aims to save financial resources and reallocate them to those in more urgent need. This ensures we direct our limited resources to the right people.”

“As we try to gather input, we don’t rely on just one channel. We receive feedback from a wide range of sources – including local associations, traditional media, and comments on social media platforms. This [measure] reflects all of those suggestions,” he added.

Mainland GBA cities an exception

The decision to exempt those working in the nine mainland GBA cities – but not those in neighboring Hong Kong – sparked further questions from reporters.

Cheong said the exemption is “in line with government policies that encourage local residents, especially younger generations, to work in the GBA. We’re also offering them a 5,000–pataca monthly subsidy for this purpose.”

Distribution begins mid–July

As announced at the press conference, cash handout distribution will begin on July 15 and continue through mid–August, when the youngest residents – those born between 2018 and 2024 – will receive their payments.

Residents can check their eligibility through a new section in the Macao One Account mobile app or the website (www.planocp.gov.mo). Those who are deemed ineligible but believe they fall under one of the established exceptions can submit documentation via the same platforms from June 18 to Dec. 21, 2028.

 

No plans to link handout to fiscal surplus

There is no intention to link the annual cash handout to government fiscal performance, Secretary for Administration and Justice and Executive Council spokesperson André Cheong said yesterday.

The statement came in response to media inquiries about the future of the scheme – which has undergone amendments this year to reflect some of the criteria used for cash injections into Central Provident Fund accounts.

Nonetheless, Cheong did not rule out future changes to the scheme, which he reminded residents is not a permanent measure.

Asked about recent suggestions from associations proposing a shift toward a consumption–based model – similar to the electronic vouchers used during the pandemic – Cheong said only that the government continues to listen to all views and take suggestions seriously.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsSubsidies
Previous Article

Outdoor venue becoming Asia’s next big stage ...

Next Article

Tuesday, June 3, 2025 – edition no. ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Ron Lam urges gov’t to revise wealth partaking measure

      February 6, 2025
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gov’t considers more support for SMEs

      February 17, 2025
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Coutinho insists on a new consumption card

      February 24, 2025
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      CE: Gaming operators know better about tourist arrival outlook

      September 27, 2022
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • Macau

      Online group lists major problems for CE candidates

      August 5, 2014
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Edward Tracy CEO for Hard Rock’s new Japan division

      February 1, 2017
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Drive In

      A star is born in Oscar-nominee ‘A Fantastic Woman’

    • Macau

      GDP expected to contract 24 pct in 2015, EIU says

    • Asia-PacificHeadlines

      South Korea | Busan uses technology to help pregnant women get seats

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d