MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›Hadid plans new, less costly bid for Tokyo stadium 

Hadid plans new, less costly bid for Tokyo stadium 

By -
September 8, 2015
1
0
Share:
In this March 19, 2013 photo, Zaha Hadid, right, smiles with a trophy and a scale model of her design after winning the competition for Japan’s national stadium 

In this March 19, 2013 photo, Zaha Hadid, right, smiles with a trophy and a scale model of her design after winning the competition for Japan’s national stadium 

Zaha Hadid Architects, the company whose stadium design for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics was chosen and later scrapped, says it is teaming up with major Japanese design and engineering company Nikken Sekkei in a bid to regain the project.
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced in July that the design by star Iraqi-British architect Zaha Hadid had been dropped as too costly, seeking to quiet an outcry over the futuristic, huge stadium blueprint.
The government has begun accepting new bids for the national stadium project, with a cost ceiling of 155 billion yen (USD1.3 billion). Hadid’s earlier project had been estimated to cost over 250 billion yen ($2 billion).
The two companies said yesterday they would offer “the most cost-effective delivery plan” to ensure the stadium is ready in time for the 2020 Olympics.
Zaha Hadid Architects and Nikken Sekkei must still find a contractor able to commit to the lower cost and time constraints of the new specifications. The contractors that had worked with Zaha Hadid Architects on the earlier design are no longer involved.
Nikken Sekkei said it has worked with Hadid on the project since May 2013 and is “technically ready” to begin construction.
“We believe the best way to respond to the new brief is to maximize the use of the expertise gained by the design team over the past two years,” it said.
The government and Tokyo Olympic organizers favored the original design as a potential new landmark for the city, but a huge and growing public debt led many to question the costs of such massive public works projects.
Shortages of construction workers and rising costs for materials are also potential problems for contractors who will have to rush to meet the International Olympic Committee’s request that the stadium be ready by early 2020. Elaine Kurtenbach, Tokyo

hadid in macau

The design of Melco Crown’s fifth hotel tower in the City of Dreams complex is being done by the Iraqi-British architect Zaha Hadid. Lawrence Ho, Co-Chairman and CEO of Melco Crown Entertainment, said previously that the new hotel tower will represent “another key milestone” for City of Dreams.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

World Briefs

Next Article

The Buzz | Mother headed to jail ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      USA | Rape case points to sordid tradition at elite prep school

      August 18, 2015
      By -
    • World

      This Day in History | 1978 Charlie Chaplin’s stolen body found

      May 17, 2016
      By -
    • World

      Iraq | Twin suicide bombing kills 26 at wedding north of Baghdad

      March 10, 2017
      By -
    • BuzzWorld

      LGBTQ+ community voices anxiety over Hungary’s restrictive laws

      July 17, 2023
      By -
    • World

      Hong Kong | Carrie Lam lauds new security law despite criticism

      November 26, 2020
      By -
    • World

      In Paraguay, drought-stricken caimans agonize

      July 4, 2016
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Corporate BitsMacau

      Galaxy Macau presents ‘Galaxy Opera Gala’ featuring Plácido Domingo

    • World

      Climate | 2017 set to be among top 3 hottest years, UN weather agency says

    • Daily Edition

      Thursday, September 25, 2014 – edition no. 2158

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d