MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›Hong Kong art show canceled after threat

Hong Kong art show canceled after threat

By -
November 5, 2018
0
0
Share:

A Hong Kong exhibition featuring an artist critical of China – as well as the band Pussy Riot and former protest leader Joshua Wong – has been canceled because of “threats” by the Chinese authorities, the organizer said.

“The decision follows threats made by the Chinese authorities relating to the artist,” the organizer, Hong Kong Free Press, said in a statement on its website and Twitter account. “Whilst the organizers value freedom of expression, the safety of our partners remains a major concern.”

The cancellation represents the latest allegation of Beijing’s interference with free speech rights guaranteed to the former British colony before its return to Chinese rule in 1997. Authorities have stepped up efforts to rein in criticism of the ruling Communist Party in recent years, issuing an unprecedented ban against a pro-independence political party in September.

Hong Kong Free Press Editor-in-Chief Tom Grundy declined to identify which Chinese authorities made the threats or say what threats had been made. The exhibition was slated to open Saturday and run through a series of events known as Free Expression Week.

A spokesman for China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Hong Kong said Friday he was unaware of the issue. A spokesman for the Hong Kong government didn’t immediately respond to request for comment.

The event, “Gongle,” was to feature the debut exhibition of the artist known as Badiucao. Badiucao’s cartoons lampoon Chinese political leaders and highlight the Communist Party’s encroachment on Hong Kong affairs.

“‘Gongle’ paints a suffocating reality as Badiucao’s biting cartoons find a physical form at his debut exhibition,” a promotion describing the exhibition said. “Portraits of political leaders, exhibits of torture equipment, and iconic Hong Kong neon are blended together to reconstruct metaphors anew.”

In October, a journalist who helped organize an August speech by the founder of the banned political party at the Foreign Correspondents Club, Hong Kong, was denied a work visa renewal by the city. The Foreign Ministry had earlier requested that the club cancel the event.

Pussy Riot, the Russian feminist punk rock band critical of President Vladimir Putin, and Wong, was expected to appear at another event tomorrow, according to a post on the festival’s Facebook page. Wong, a Hong Kong pro-democracy activist who helped lead the 2014 Occupy Central protests, will attend a film screening on Wednesday. David Tweed, Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Trump-Xi trade deal is likely to begin ...

Next Article

China seeks to rebrand global image with ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • ChinaHeadlines

      Villagers reluctant to say goodbye to one of the city’s last squatter settlements

      September 9, 2024
      By -
    • China

      Family told dead scholar’s body may be in landfill

      August 5, 2019
      By -
    • China

      Beijing’s USD350M bridge gets scant N. Korean welcome 

      November 19, 2014
      By -
    • China

      This day in history | 1961 Sierra Leone wins independence

      April 27, 2021
      By -
    • China

      Yuan joins top 5 most-used global currencies

      January 29, 2015
      By -
    • China

      US, China climate envoys meet at summit in Egypt

      November 17, 2022
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      WHO: Covid cases drop everywhere, but pandemic not over

    • Macau

      Architecture | Siza Vieira says ‘nobody could have imagined’ Macau’s development

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gov’t suspends crematorium project amid public criticism

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia
    %d