MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›IC admits to inspecting scripts and performance contents for Arts Festival

IC admits to inspecting scripts and performance contents for Arts Festival

By Renato Marques, MDT
March 27, 2024
0
0
Share:

The Cultural Affairs Bureau (IC) is reviewing the scripts and performance contents for inclusion at the 34th Macao Arts Festival (FAM), the president of IC, Deland Leong, said during the Macao International Parade on Sunday.

Leong addressed media queries regarding reports suggesting that groups were required to modify their scripts or performance plans to align with criteria set by the IC.

“We evaluate the program to decide on necessary adjustments for FAM. These adjustments might include different aspects. As some groups are participating by invitation from the IC, negotiations regarding content can be conducted based on mutual respect to deliver enjoyable shows for residents,” Leong said.

This comes after the recent cancelation of the performance, “Made by Beauty,” during the Macau City Fringe Festival in January. Several other reports surfaced regarding alterations to some FAM shows to meet the IC standards.

One of these shows was reportedly “The Three Brothers,” presented by the Portuguese art troupe My Own Name, which depicts family relationships and explores human emotions by presenting the frictions and struggles of brothers on the stage.

According to a report by Hoje Macau newspaper, part of the choreography was modified to remove a nudity scene. Choreographer Victor Hugo Pontes said that the change did not significantly affect the performance and deemed the IC’s request acceptable.

The same choreographer said that the IC had explained there were concerns over “cultural differences in the acceptance of nudity by the local audience,” and that the quota for nudity in the program had already been met.

According to a different report by local media outlet “All About Macau,” several proposals for shows during last year’s FAM event were disallowed at the last stage of evaluation, as they contained messages or expressions that were considered not acceptable by the IC.

While Leong asserted that script and content reviews were routine, leader of the local patuá-language theatre group “Doci Papiaçám Di Macau,” Miguel de Senna Fernandes, said to local public broadcaster TDM that this was the first year that IC had requested to see the scripts beforehand.

The group’s founder said that for the time being, no changes have been made, but stated that he would protest if the play was censored.

Senna Fernandes said the group has never before submitted a script to the IC, adding that the play’s script is a working document and so is likely to undergo last minute changes.

He also added that IC has been a good partner in the promotion and revival of the Macanese Creole language that is part of the distinguished list of cultural artifacts on the Intangible Cultural Heritage of the People’s Republic of China. However, for that partnership to work, “it is necessary that IC trusts us and trusts in what we do.”

He noted that one of the fundamental characteristics of Patuá theatre plays is “impishness” and the fun and jesting manner with which the group addresses topical societal matters. He expressed the hope that the IC’s content review and analysis did not result in censorship of content itself and the logic of the play, as this would pose a serious blow to the group’s longstanding creative efforts across many years.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

First day of Cotai hospital ultrasound imaging ...

Next Article

How EU deforestation laws are reordering the ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Private schools statute amended to allow establishment of schools in Hengqin

      May 20, 2025
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      Girl bruised and scarred at local nursery

      October 5, 2016
      By -
    • Macau

      More dual-standard EV chargers for public lots

      August 25, 2025
      By -
    • Macau

      No Macau students request assistance amid Portugal outages

      April 30, 2025
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      12 hurt in traffic accident during filming session

      February 25, 2025
      By -
    • Macau

      Labor | DSAL claims amendment will not reduce workers’ rights

      November 12, 2018
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Sports

      Verstappen captures 4th F1 championship after Mercedes sweep of Las Vegas Grand Prix

    • Sports

      Football | African Cup final much more than Mane vs. Mahrez

    • Macau

      Construction to begin on Coloane temporary parking lot

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d