MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-Pacific
Home›Asia-Pacific›Military strikes village in glider raid, killing 24 including children
Myanmar

Military strikes village in glider raid, killing 24 including children

By -
October 9, 2025
1
0
Share:

Myanmar’s military carried out a paraglider strike on a village that killed at least 24 people including children, and wounded more than 50 others, according to a member of a resistance group, villagers and media reports.

The Monday night attack was carried out by a motorized paraglider, and targeted a village in the country’s central Sagaing region that was celebrating a Buddhist festival that included a rally calling for the release of political prisoners held by Myanmar’s military government, the reports said.

Myanmar is in a civil war that began after the army seized power in February 2021 from the elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi. Much of the country, including the village of Bon To village where the attack took place, is under the control of resistance forces. The area is about 90 kilometers west of Mandalay, the country’s second-largest city.

“The sickening reports emerging from the ground in central Myanmar following a nighttime attack late on Monday should serve as a gruesome wake-up call that civilians in Myanmar need urgent protection,” the human rights group Amnesty International said in a statement.

More than 100 people from Bon To and nearby villages had gathered at the village’s primary school compound Monday evening for an oil lamp lighting ceremony to mark the end of Buddhist Lent and to call for the release of political prisoners including Suu Kyi, said a member of a local resistance group who attended the event.

A motorized paraglider dropped two bombs at about 7:15 p.m., killing an estimated 20 to 40 people, including children, villagers and members of local political activist groups and armed anti-military groups, said the resistance fighter, who spoke to The Associated Press yesterday on condition of anonymity to safeguard his personal security. More than 50 others were wounded, including himself, he added.

The resistance fighter said an alert had been issued through a network of mobile phones and walkie-talkies that had tracked the paraglider from the army’s northwestern military command in Monywa, about 25 kilometers north of Bon To village.

A local resident who also attended Monday’s ceremony said the crowd began to disperse after hearing reports of an approaching paraglider, but it arrived sooner than expected and dropped bombs while people were still in the school.

The resident, who helped in rescue efforts after the attack, said at least 24 people were known to have been killed, though the death toll could be higher as the victims’ family members and rescue workers worked independently to collect the bodies.

Both witnesses said the paraglider returned to the scene around 11 p.m. and dropped two more bombs without causing additional casualties.

The military has not acknowledged carrying out an attack in the area. More than 7,300 people are estimated to have been killed by security forces since the army’s 2021 seizure of power, according to figures compiled by nongovernmental organizations.

Myanmar’s military also uses Chinese and Russian-made combat aircraft and helicopters, but since late last year has stepped up the use of low-tech motorized paragliders in what is believed to partially be an effort to save money.

Resistance forces lack effective defenses against any kind of air attacks. GRANT PECK, BANGKOK, MDT/AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsMyanmar
Previous Article

Buildings are turning to ‘ice batteries’ ...

Next Article

Sabalenka overcomes early scare to advance at ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-PacificChina

      Order on China-Myanmar border shared concern

      January 10, 2024
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Journalist gets a 20-year sentence for reporting on cyclone’s aftermath, news site says

      September 8, 2023
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Accusations fly after bombing kills one, injures nine

      June 2, 2022
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Resistance steadfast against army rule two years later

      February 2, 2023
      By -
    • China

      A small blast in Myanmar’s second-biggest city damages Chinese Consulate

      October 21, 2024
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Churches, temples and monasteries regularly hit by airstrikes, activists say

      January 24, 2024
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • China

      Aspiring Taiwan leader Terry Gou resigns from board of Apple supplier Foxconn

    • Daily Edition

      Monday, December 7, 2020 – edition no. 3673

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Noise complaints largely ignored despite legal crackdown

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d