MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-Pacific
Home›Asia-Pacific›Nepal | Everest climbing season likely over

Nepal | Everest climbing season likely over

By -
May 5, 2015
1
0
Share:
Nepalese Buddhists light incense sticks at the Boudhanath Stupa during Buddha Jayanti festival in Kathmandu yesterday. Hundreds of people have visited Buddhist shrines and monasteries in Kathmandu on the birthday of Gautama Buddha to pray for the country 

Nepalese Buddhists light incense sticks at the Boudhanath Stupa during Buddha Jayanti festival in Kathmandu yesterday. Hundreds of people have visited Buddhist shrines and monasteries in Kathmandu on the birthday of Gautama Buddha to pray for the country 

Sherpas in Nepal have refused to rebuild a climbing route on Mount Everest that was destroyed by an earthquake-triggered avalanche more than one week ago, a decision which will likely end this year’s climbing season.
Gyanendra Shrestha, an official at Nepal’s Mountaineering Department, said the Sherpas informed the office yesterday that they were not going to rebuild the route.
It would be the second consecutive year that the climbing season has been called off because of deaths on the world’s highest peak. The climbing season was cancelled last year after an avalanche in April that killed 16 Sherpa guides.
Mountaineering teams have until the end of the month to climb the peak, but without the route fixed it is not be possible for them to make their climbs. The Sherpas play a crucial role by bringing the ladders, ropes and equipment needed to clear the trail.
Kapindra Rai of the Sagarmatha Pollution Control Committee, which controls the Icefall Doctors as the Sherpas are called, said there was not much time left in the season before it starts to get warmer and melting ice and monsoon rains bring bad weather.
“It is just not possible to rebuild the route in time for climbers to attempt to scale the peak,” Rai said, although a formal decision has not been made yet.
The government has not formally cancelled the season and climbing permits are valid until the end of May.
Climbers and Sherpas attempting to reach the summit from the north face of the mountain in Tibet have already packed their gear and left after Chinese authorities closed all climbing for the spring season.
The Sherpas are paid daily wages, but will also lose the big bonuses they generally receive from the teams after successful climbs to the peak.
The April 25 earthquake has already killed more than 7,200 people in Nepal, flattened mountain villages and destroyed buildings and archaeological sites in Kathmandu. Binaj Gurubacharya, Kathmandu, AP

huge foreign support needed for reconstruction

Nepal’s information minister says the country will need immense international support as it begins turning its attention toward post-quake reconstruction in coming weeks. While there are no clear estimates yet of how much it will cost to rebuild, it will certainly be enormously expensive. Information Minister Minendra Rijal said that in two to three weeks a serious reconstruction package would be needed, and “we’ll need enormous help from the international community.” He said that there would be a “huge, huge funding gap.” He also said foreign rescue workers were welcome in Nepal, saying they could remain as long as they are needed. He had earlier said that the need for their services was diminishing, but later denied that he wanted them to leave the country.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

North Korea | Pyongyang officially squelches speculation ...

Next Article

Hong Kong | Retiring police chief ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-Pacific

      Prime Minister Srettha removed from office by a court order over an ethics violation

      August 15, 2024
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Singapore | Police arrest female Islamic State suspect

      June 13, 2017
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Blind Aboriginal musician dies in Australia aged 46

      July 27, 2017
      By -
    • Asia-PacificHeadlines

      Philippines | Volcano spews lava fountains, 56,000 people flee

      January 24, 2018
      By -
    • Asia-PacificBreaking NewsMacau

      Asia Today: India’s cases spike with Chennai market cluster

      May 6, 2020
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      UN chief: It’s time for diplomacy on tense Korean peninsula

      August 18, 2017
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Melco to reassign staff as satellite casinos set to close

    • HeadlinesWorld

      UK | May faces no-confidence vote after historic Brexit defeat

    • Greater Bay

      Businesses confident in Greater Bay Area project, says survey

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d