MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-Pacific
Home›Asia-Pacific›North Korea | FBI investigates hacking of Sony Pictures computers

North Korea | FBI investigates hacking of Sony Pictures computers

By -
December 3, 2014
1
0
Share:
Actor Brad Pitt, background center, waves to fans during a promotional event for his latest film “Fury” in Seoul

Actor Brad Pitt, background center, waves to fans during a promotional event for his latest film “Fury” in Seoul

The FBI has joined the investigation of a possible North Korean cyber attack that crippled computers at Sony Pictures and led to the theft of some new movies.
“The FBI is working with our interagency partners to investigate the recently reported cyber intrusion at Sony Pictures Entertainment,” the bureau said Monday in an e-mailed statement.
Sony Pictures, based in Culver City, California, is also investigating, including the possibility the breach may involve North Korea, a person with knowledge of the matter said last week. The studio was looking into whether the attack coincides with the release of “The Interview,” a comedy about a CIA plot to kill North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un, the person said.
The World War II drama “Fury” with Brad Pitt was downloaded 500,000 times since the Nov. 25 attack on the Sony’s Corp.’s film-and-TV studio, the news site TorrentFreak said. The leaks, which include the upcoming “Still Alice,” and “Mr. Turner,” will draw viewers from a unit that has been one of Sony’s most reliable profit-makers, with gross ticket revenue up 13 percent this year, according to Box Office Mojo.
“Sony Pictures continues to work through issues related to what was clearly a cyber attack last week,” the studio said Monday in an e-mailed statement. “The company has restored a number of important services to ensure ongoing business continuity and is working closely with law enforcement officials to investigate the matter.”
The hacking incident came to light when a picture of a skull appeared on company computer screens. The image was accompanied by a message saying Sony had been hacked by #GOP, believed to stand for “Guardians of Peace,” and that private data would be released if undisclosed demands weren’t met.
The attack has forced some employees to communicate via text message and private e-mail accounts. The studio’s home entertainment division was able to fulfill Black Friday orders, the person added.
The attack occurred a month before the scheduled release of “The Interview,” a comedy about a CIA plot to kill North Korea’s leader.
The Seth Rogen film, currently being advertised for release in theaters on Dec. 25, features Rogen and James Franco as TV producers who are recruited by the CIA to assassinate Kim. Plans for the film drew a rebuke from the country, with a foreign ministry spokesman saying in state media that the release would be an “act of war,” according to the BBC. Anousha Sakoui and Grace Huang , Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

South Korea | Over 50 missing after fishing ...

Next Article

S. Koreans to light new frontline DMZ ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-Pacific

      JAPAN | Modi visit draws pledges of support from Tokyo

      September 2, 2014
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Myanmar | Asian elephants said at risk from Chinese demand for skin

      April 25, 2018
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Dalai Lama cancels Botswana visit because of ‘exhaustion’

      August 14, 2017
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Malaysia | Gov’t plans new taxes to help pay off snowballing debt

      October 10, 2018
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Vatican’s top diplomat begins a 6-day visit aimed at normalizing relations

      April 10, 2024
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      UN envoy challenges Malaysia’s claim to near zero poverty

      August 26, 2019
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Daily Edition

      Tuesday, March 22, 2016 – edition no. 2522

    • Business

      Corporate Bits | CEM holds occupational safety training

    • Daily Edition

      Monday, June 3, 2024 – edition no. 4495

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d