MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

ChinaHeadlines
Home›China›Oops! | Queen Elizabeth II says Chinese officials were ‘rude’

Oops! | Queen Elizabeth II says Chinese officials were ‘rude’

By -
May 12, 2016
1
1
Share:

Queen Elizabeth II has been overheard on video describing Chinese officials as “very      rude to the ambassador” in a conversation with a senior police officer at a Buckingham Palace event.
The comments, made yesterday [Macau time], were unusual because the 90-year-old monarch never comments publicly on political matters and media accompanying her are asked not to eavesdrop on private conversations.
The incident, recorded by the palace’s official cameraman at a palace garden party, captured police Commander Lucy D’Orsi telling the queen that arranging the state visit by Chinese President Xi in October had been a “testing time.”
Elizabeth responded: “They were very rude to the ambassador.”
It was the second embarrassment in one day for the palace, where Prime Minister David Cameron was overheard at a separate event describing Nigeria and Afghanistan as “possibly the two most corrupt countries in the world.”

Chinese President Xi Jinping (left) toasts with Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II during a state banquet at Buckingham Palace in London on the first day of the state visit to Britain

Chinese President Xi Jinping (left) toasts with Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II during a state banquet at Buckingham Palace in London on the first day of the state visit to Britain

In the video, an official introduced the queen to D’Orsi and explains that the officer was in charge of policing for the visit. The queen responded: “Oh! Bad luck.”
The official tells the queen that D’Orsi had been “seriously undermined by the Chinese” in the handling of the visit.
When D’Orsi asked if the queen knew it had been a “testing time,” the monarch interjected: “I did.”
The officer recalled a moment when Chinese officials walked out of a meeting with Barbara Woodward, British ambassador to China, in which the Chinese told the Brits the trip was off.
“They walked out on both of us,” D’Orsi said.
“Extraordinary,” the queen said.
“It was very rude and undiplomatic I thought,” D’Orsi said.
Both the Metropolitan police and the palace refused to comment on what they described as private conversations.
It is not the first time British royals have been caught making undiplomatic remarks about the Chinese. Prince Charles branded Chinese diplomats “appalling old waxworks” in a private journal entry that had described the 1997 ceremony to hand Hong Kong back to Chinese rule.
At another palace, cameras recorded Cameron talking about an anti-corruption summit in London, which he will chair.
“We’ve got some leaders of some fantastically corrupt countries coming to Britain,” Cameron told the monarch during a reception for the queen marking her 90th birthday. “Nigeria and Afghanistan — possibly the two most corrupt countries in the world.”
Afghanistan’s Ashraf Ghani and Nigeria’s Muhammadu Buhari are due to attend the London summit and each has contributed an essay on his efforts to tackle graft. Danica Kirka, London, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

South China Sea | Beijing says US ...

Next Article

Taiwan executes man for 2014 subway stabbing ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • China

      Nine-month freeze on video-game licensing, FT says

      December 31, 2018
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Electric price spikes frustrate residents amid current financial turmoil

      August 24, 2022
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • ChinaHeadlines

      US military is placing a new emphasis on ground troops for Pacific defense

      November 10, 2023
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Deutsche Bank forecasts Q1 GGR to be 11.7% higher y-o-y

      March 6, 2026
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Economy | GDP decline in line with Lei Wai Nong’s forecast of over 50%

      March 8, 2021
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Man arrested for taking pictures and disturbing four women

      May 24, 2022
      By Anthony Lam, MDT

    1 comment

    1. Don Johnson 12 May, 2016 at 10:15 Log in to Reply

      Don’t be mistaken, this was no accident. The Queen was sending a message. With so many years of experience in the public eye she knew full well what she was doing.

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Forum

      Angola | Construction of the deep-water port of Cabinda starts in June

    • Macau

      Gov’t pledges MOP100m earthquake relief

    • Macau

      FSS extends contribution deadline to Feb. 28

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d