MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-Pacific
Home›Asia-Pacific›Powerful quake strikes New Zealand, triggering small tsunami 

Powerful quake strikes New Zealand, triggering small tsunami 

By -
November 14, 2016
1
0
Share:
People evacuated from buildings along Dixon Street stand and sit on the street and the sidewalk in Wellington

People evacuated from buildings along Dixon Street stand and sit on the street and the sidewalk in Wellington

A powerful earthquake struck New Zealand’s South Island yesterday [Macau time], shaking residents awake, causing damage to buildings and prompting emergency services to warn people along the coast to move to higher ground to avoid tsunami waves.

The magnitude-7.8 earthquake struck just after midnight in a mostly rural area close to the city of Christchurch, but appeared to be more strongly felt in Wellington, the capital, more than 200 kilometers to the north. The quake was followed by a number of strong aftershocks.

The quake temporarily knocked out New Zealand’s emergency call number, 111, police reported. It caused items to fall from shelves and windows to break in Wellington, and forced hundreds of tourists onto the streets as hotels were evacuated. There were no immediate reports of serious injuries in the city.

New Zealand’s Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management reported that a tsunami wave struck at about 1:50 a.m. and warned residents living in low-lying areas anywhere along the country’s east coast to move to higher ground.

Information from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center indicated that the tsunami waves could be highest around the South Island town of Kaikoura, at about 1.5 meters (5 feet). The Hawaii-based center said it did not expect the quake to generate a destructive Pacific-
wide tsunami.

Within New Zealand, there was confusion about the tsunami threat.

The ministry had earlier sent out a message on Twitter saying there was no tsunami threat to the country. But then it sent out another message — “situation has changed – tsunami is possible” — before reporting that a tsunami had hit.

The ministry said people on the coast near the epicenter could expect waves of between 3 and 5 meters.

While there were no immediate reports of any major damage or injuries in Christchurch, the quake brought back memories of a magnitude-6.3 earthquake that struck the city in 2011, destroying much of the downtown area and killing 185 people in one of New Zealand’s worst disasters. The latest quake was centered farther away from Christchurch than the one in 2011, which caused an estimated USD25 billion in damage.

The quake was far less violent than the one that struck her city in 2011, Christchurch resident Hannah Gin said, adding that there was no jarring up and down or side to side, just a long, rolling sensation. But it went on for much longer than the typical quakes that strike the area, she said. She was less concerned about running for cover than she was about vomiting from the motion sickness, she said with a chuckle.

The quake was centered 93 kilometers northeast of Christchurch, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Trump relies on Washington insiders to build ...

Next Article

US to resettle Australia’s refugees languishing on ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-Pacific

      Philippines | Police hunt four people after Davao city bombing

      September 5, 2016
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      G20 ministers reach agreement on most, but not all, climate issues

      July 31, 2023
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Philippines | Regular troops resume assaults on rebels after talks scrapped

      February 7, 2017
      By -
    • Asia-PacificHeadlines

      Philippines | At parents’ tomb, next President shows softer side

      May 11, 2016
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Nepalese women team 1st to scale world’s highest peaks

      January 12, 2015
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Philippines | Passengers scream as bus plunges in ravine, killing 31

      April 20, 2017
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • EditorialMacauOpinion

      The Covidian Era

    • Asia-PacificHeadlinesThe Conversation

      Sri Lankans throw out old guard in election upset

    • Business

      Gaming | US: Wagerers crossing the Delaware (and Hudson) for sports bets

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d