MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›World Briefs

World Briefs

By -
February 21, 2020
1
0
Share:


JAPAN Two elderly passengers taken off the quarantined cruise ship Diamond Princess because they were infected with the new virus have died, Japan’s Health Ministry said yesterday, becoming the first fatalities from the virus-stricken vessel. Japan now has three deaths linked to the COVID-19 illness.

AUSTRALIA Around 180 Australians evacuated from a virus-stricken cruise ship in Japan arrived in the city of Darwin to begin a second quarantine period. The former cruise ship passengers will spend the next two weeks in a camp facility near Darwin, health officials said. The new coronavirus that causes the COVID-19 illness has infected more than 620 people on the Diamond Princess.

THAILAND’s government is scrambling to cope with new travel restrictions after Israel banned the citizens of Thailand and three other Asian countries and territories from entering over concerns about a new virus. Israel this week announced it was refusing entry to all foreign nationals who traveled to Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong and Macau during the past 14 days. Israel has so far confirmed no cases of COVID-19 infections inside the country.

LAOS Southeast Asia’s top diplomats praised China’s handling of the virus outbreak and pledged to help fight the disease that emerged in a central Chinese city and spread in the region and around the world. Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi highlighted the unprecedented steps his country has taken to contain the two-month outbreak in an emergency meeting with his Southeast Asian counterparts.


HONG KONG Volunteers from a theater group are turning their backstage skills to helping fight the new virus, sewing reusable protective face masks for those who can’t access or afford them. The group Nonsensemakers have turned a theater rehearsal room into a temporary handmade mask factory. With the help of friends they met online, they have been working to produce 400 fabric masks that can be reused by throwing away the inner lining.


INDIA A bus collided at high speed with a truck on a highway in southern India yesterday, killing at least 19 people, police said. The bus driver was among the dead, but the truck driver survived the head-on collision, said police officer Sauranya, who uses one name. She said nine injured people were hospitalized and others were allowed to go home after treatment. The accident occurred near Avinashi, a town in Tamil Nadu state.

GERMANY A 43-year-old German man shot and killed nine people at several locations in a Frankfurt suburb overnight in attacks that appear to have been motivated by far-right beliefs. The gunman first attacked a hookah bar in central Hanau last night, killing several people before heading about 2.5 kilometers west and opening fire again, claiming more victims.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Tagsworld briefs
Previous Article

World Views | Gaming out a contested ...

Next Article

Macau’s fight against virus embraces tech

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      World Briefs

      November 13, 2018
      By -
    • World

      World Briefs

      May 29, 2015
      By -
    • World

      World Briefs

      July 8, 2016
      By -
    • World

      World briefs

      March 9, 2020
      By -
    • World

      World Briefs

      October 24, 2019
      By -
    • World

      World Briefs

      February 17, 2020
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Business

      Corporate Bits | Beer fest returns to Sheraton Grand Macao

    • Business

      Corporate bits | MGM launches art workshops

    • Macau

      Resident fined MOP5,000 for tobacco smuggling

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d