MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›Yahoo ad partner Media.net sells to China group for USD900 million

Yahoo ad partner Media.net sells to China group for USD900 million

By -
August 23, 2016
1
0
Share:

2-Bloomberg

A group of Chinese investors said it’s acquiring ad-tech startup Media.net for about USD900 million in cash, with plans to eventually sell the company to an obscure telecommunications firm whose shares have been suspended from trading since last year.
Media.net, which is based in Dubai and New York, is touting this as the third-largest ad-tech acquisition in history. However, the complex deal more closely resembles a reverse merger, where a private company takes over a public one and bypasses the formalities of an initial public offering.
Technology entrepreneur Divyank Turakhia started Media.net in 2010 and bootstrapped the business. The company provides the technology powering contextual ads offered by Yahoo! Inc. and Microsoft Corp.’s Bing search engine. The system is similar to one offered by Google, choosing which ads to show based on the content of the web page they appear on.
The deal comes as merger activity involving ad-tech companies is declining. There were 43 deals during the first half of the year, according to research firm PitchBook Data. That’s a 45 percent decline from the same period last year.
Media.net generated $232 million in revenue last year, more than half of which came from mobile visitors, Turakhia said. The U.S. accounts for 90 percent of Media.net’s revenue, but the company is hoping to make a big push into China after the deal, he said.
The consortium buying Media.net is led by Zhang Zhiyong, the chairman of Beijing Miteno Communication Technology Co. His telecom firm has been “moving aggressively” into mobile advertising and hoped to accelerate the transition through an acquisition, Zhang said through a translator.
But the cellular tower provider only has about $23 million in cash and equivalents, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. To pull off the deal, Miteno needed to orchestrate a two-step financial dance. First, the financiers made a payment of $426 million to Turakhia, the founder, chief executive officer, and sole shareholder of Media.net. He said he’ll collect the rest later. Then Miteno will acquire Media.net from the consortium, which Turakhia expects will happen before the end of the year. That transaction may involve equity, additional fundraising or a combination of the two, he said.
Trading of Miteno shares on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange has been halted since December, which is unusual. Zhang said suspending a stock is a common regulatory practice when a company is looking at acquisitions. Turakhia said he expected shares to resume trading in September.
Zhang said the structure of the two-part transaction has allowed Miteno to start raising money while waiting for regulatory approval. He said he expects many other companies, especially those in China, to copy the strategy in the future. Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

China stages live-firing drills in Tonkin Gulf ...

Next Article

ChemChina says US security panel clears Syngenta ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • China

      Monsoon floods sweep away 18 people and the main bridge linking Nepal to China

      July 9, 2025
      By -
    • China

      Briefs | Shenzhen finds new local Covid-19 cases, shutters stores

      August 17, 2020
      By -
    • China

      Pakistan’s finance minister says Beijing rolls over $2.4 billion loan for Islamabad for two years

      July 28, 2023
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Olympians Liu and Gu travel very different paths, and China-US relations hang over their stories

      March 11, 2026
      By MDT/AP
    • China

      Rescuers search for 13 workers missing after a railroad construction site collapses

      December 6, 2024
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Guangzhou plans 250,000 quarantine beds to fight virus

      November 18, 2022
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      Iranian filmmaker and his producer face prison for showing film at Cannes without state permission

    • Asia-Pacific

      Marcos Jr. refuses to discuss family matters in public

    • Macau

      Local woman loses over HKD950,000 in phone scam

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d