MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›Yangtze death toll rises as rescuers sever ship’s hull

Yangtze death toll rises as rescuers sever ship’s hull

By -
June 5, 2015
1
0
Share:
 Rescuers pulled out 51 bodies yesterday, bringing the toll to 77

Rescuers pulled out 51 bodies yesterday, bringing the toll to 77

Rescuers cut three holes into the overturned hull of a river cruise ship in unsuccessful attempts to find more survivors yesterday, as the death toll in the Yangtze River disaster reached 77. More than 360 people remain missing and are feared dead.
Workers stabilized the ship with cranes and then cut into sections of the hull, which jutted above the river’s gray currents, to check for survivors before welding the sections back to the hull to preserve the ship’s buoyancy and balance, Chinese state broadcaster CCTV said.
So far, authorities say at least 14 people survived Monday night’s sudden capsizing in a severe storm, some by jumping from the ship during the early moments and swimming or drifting ashore. Three of them were pulled by divers from air pockets inside the overturned hull Tuesday after rescuers heard yells for help coming from inside.
Although chances of finding anyone else alive have all but disappeared, Chinese officials have not yet declared the search over.
More than 200 divers were working underwater in three shifts to search the ship’s cabins one by one, the broadcaster said. Rescuers pulled out 51 bodies yesterday, bringing the toll to 77, Jianli county chief Huang Zhen told reporters. They were brought to the Jianli’s Rongcheng Crematorium, in Hubei province, where at least two relatives tried to identify them.
Among the crowd observing developments outside the crematorium was farmer Wang Xun, who noted that many of the boats passengers were elderly.
“I can’t imagine how terrifying it must have been for them,” Wang said. “Old people should be with their families and go peacefully, not like this.”
The Eastern Star capsizing will likely become the country’s deadliest boat disaster in seven decades, and Chinese authorities have launched a high-profile response that has included sending Premier Li Keqiang to the accident site, while tightly controlling media coverage.
The Communist Party’s Poliburo Standing Committee, the country’s highest power, convened a meeting and issued a directive for officials to step up efforts to control public opinion about the disaster response, while ordering them to both “understand the sorrow of the families” and “concretely preserve social stability.”
Many of the more than 450 people on board the multi-decked, 77-meter-long Eastern Star were reported to be retirees taking in the scenic vistas of the Yangtze on a cruise from Nanjing to the southwestern city of Chongqing.
The survivors included the ship’s captain and chief engineer, both of whom have been taken into police custody. Some relatives have questioned whether the captain should have brought the ship ashore at the first signs of a storm, and whether everything possible was done to ensure the safety of the passengers after the accident.
More than 1,200 relatives arrived in Jianli county where the accident occurred, CCTV said. Access to the accident site was blocked by police and paramilitary troops stationed along the Yangtze embankment. Reuters reported earlier that frustrated family members who had come seeking more information broke through a police cordon around the disaster site in unruly scenes that have drawn a heavy police response. Christopher Bodeen, Jianli, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Hong Kong | Youth find new meaning ...

Next Article

Chinese companies start building refinery in Angola

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • China

      Chinese man accused of hacking into US computers

      July 14, 2014
      By -
    • China

      Hong Kong | Bailiffs to move on Mong Kok protest sites after Admiralty clash

      November 20, 2014
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Xi and Blinken pledge to stabilize US-China ties in Beijing talks

      June 20, 2023
      By -
    • China

      Trump says China pressuring North Korea on missile, nukes 

      May 1, 2017
      By -
    • China

      Gov’t promotes coal in setback for efforts to cut emissions

      April 25, 2022
      By -
    • China

      Guam governor visits Taiwan, US territory would play key role in conflict scenario

      May 27, 2025
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Cyclone alert issued for South China Sea

    • Macau

      Housing prices drop due to Peninsula properties

    • Asia-Pacific

      Indonesians shocked by Trump, but still admire US values

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d