MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›50% of senior citizens wish to live in the forthcoming Residence for Elderly

50% of senior citizens wish to live in the forthcoming Residence for Elderly

By Renato Marques, MDT
March 30, 2021
1
0
Share:

Approximately 50% of the aged population surveyed by the Social Welfare Bureau (IAS) have said that they wish to move from their current apartment buildings into the new Residence for Elderly, a residential building that the government aims to build by 2024, the IAS director, Hon Wai, announced yesterday at the Legislative Assembly (AL).
Hon was at the AL, where the government was expected to reply to a series of inquiries from the lawmakers on several topics.
Adding to a reply to an inquiry to the Secretary for Transport and Public Works, Raimundo do Rosário, Hon said that, according to a survey which interviewed 549 senior citizens who fulfill the eligibility criteria to apply for such a housing program, “over 50% of them said they wish to request a residence to live there.”
According to the reply provided by the government officials on the topic, a total of 1,800 housing units will be built for such a purpose on the land plot P of Areia Preta, where around 2,800 senior citizens can be housed.
The government survey indicated that around half of the respondents intending to apply will do so as single applicants, while the other half will be applying to live as couples.
This building will be part of a larger government-run development, which includes the construction of other public housing buildings, namely those for exchange on urban renewal projects, which will also be available for acquisition for some of the eligible buyers of the former Pearl Horizon development, which was planned to occupy the same land plot.

‘Sandwich class’ housing waiting for final report
At the same assembly, lawmaker Sulu Sou raised questions regarding the status of the new type of housing dedicated to the so-called “sandwich class,” that is, residents that are not eligible to apply for economic housing but do not have an income that can afford a housing unit on the private market.
According to the reply from the government, the entities in charge of the public consultation process held between October and December last year are currently compiling all the information and opinions received to produce the final report, which will soon be made public.
According to the government official, “Over 300 people have participated in the 10 sessions held (3 to general public and 7 to the different sectors). The government has collected over 28,608 pieces of opinion, that are now being gathered into around 2,300 opinions that will be included in the final report.”
The government noted that, according to the preliminary results, some “90% of the population is in favor of this model” and “most of the opinions collected are regarding the income ceiling” that would allow residents to be eligible for this type of public housing.
Also in focus was the price for the acquisition of the units. According to the government, 80% of opinions believe that the main criteria to define the price should be based on the market price according to the area of the city in which the unit is located.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Enjoy a Joyous Easter at MGM with ...

Next Article

Secretary bids for approval of Urban Master ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Hong Kong handouts may be received in July

      May 18, 2020
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      2,000 foreigners from mainland enjoy Macau tourism privileges

      November 23, 2022
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • Macau

      Sands China hosts golf day with 4 pro champions and local young golfers 

      October 25, 2023
      By -
    • Macau

      Their job was saving lives. They lost their own in horrifying plane crash

      August 13, 2024
      By -
    • Macau

      PSP deploys over 40 officers in latest Operation Thunder

      August 7, 2024
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Man caught smuggling 5kg of heroin from Macau to Hong Kong

      January 14, 2025
      By Renato Marques, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Briefs | Additional medical subsidy starts today

    • HeadlinesMacau

      DSEDJ strengthening ‘tolerance’ and ‘open-mindedness’ across various subjects

    • Macau

      Entertainment | Parade ambassadors prepare for Sunday’s event

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d