MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-Pacific
Home›Asia-Pacific›Afghanistan | Thousands march through capital to protest Hazara killings

Afghanistan | Thousands march through capital to protest Hazara killings

By -
November 12, 2015
1
0
Share:
Hazara tribesmen carry the coffin of a beheaded Hazara victim during a ceremony in Kabul

Hazara tribesmen carry the coffin of a beheaded Hazara victim during a ceremony in Kabul

Thousands of people marched through the Afghan capital yesterday, carrying the coffins of seven ethnic Hazaras who had been kidnapped and beheaded and calling for a new government that can ensure security in the country.
Protesters, holding banners with photos of the victims — who include a nine-year-old girl — rallied outside the Presidential Palace.
Holding up the green-draped coffins, they chanted “Death to the Taliban” and called on President Ashraf Ghani and Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah to resign.
The four men, two women and child were found partially beheaded on Saturday in the southeastern province of Zabul, officials have said.
They had been kidnapped in neighboring Ghazni province up to six months earlier. Afghanistan’s spy agency dismissed Taliban claims that affiliates of the Islamic State group were behind the killings. In the past five days, rival Taliban groups have been fighting each other in the region where the bodies were found.
Ghani sent a delegation to Ghazni to investigate the killings and attend funerals, his office said. A statement described the kidnappers as “mainly non-local terrorists.”
Civil society activist Zahra Sepehr, one of the protest organizers, estimated a turnout of about 10,000, which would make it the biggest demonstration in Kabul since the killing of a young woman, Farkhunda, by a mob in March. The demonstrators included members of all Afghanistan’s ethnic groups.
“We want justice and we want this government, Ghani and Abdullah, to go so that we can have a government that protects all the people of the country and brings security to the whole country,” Sepehr told The Associated Press.
She said the deaths of the seven were evidence of the lack of security across Afghanistan. This year, the Taliban has extended its reach across Afghanistan in its fight to topple the government, and the Islamic State group is also believed to have a presence in Zabul, as well as in the southeastern Nangarhar province.
After gathering in the west of Kabul, the demonstrators walked about 10 kilometers through the rain to the gate of the Presidential Palace, where organizers said they intended to stage an open-ended sit-in.
Habibullah, the head of a local Kabul council, said the demonstration aimed to show the unity of the Afghan people, regardless of ethnicity or sect. “I’m Afghan only,” he said. “Our voice wants justice, brotherhood, sanctity of life, peace and equality. No one can tolerate any longer the situation we have in the country.”
He added that even during Afghanistan’s 1992 to 1996 civil war, which killed up to 80,000 in Kabul alone, no one was beheaded.
Hazaras, who are predominantly Shiite, have been the targets of past atrocities and this year have been the victims in a number of large-scale kidnappings. The green cloth covering the coffins symbolized that they were Shia.
The bodies of the seven victims were brought 380 kilometers to Kabul from Zabul on Tuesday. Protesters held an overnight vigil before beginning their march early yesterday.
The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan condemned the killings and said they could constitute a war crime. Killing and kidnapping civilians are “serious violations of international humanitarian law,” UNAMA chief Nicholas Haysom said in a statement, calling for the perpetrators to be held accountable. Humayoon Babur and Amir Shah, Kabul, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Portugal | Gov’t ousted amid austerity backlash

Next Article

Climate change | India sees clean cooking ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-Pacific

      The Buzz | India top court reviews Islamic instant divorce

      May 12, 2017
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Myanmar violence, South China Sea tensions are top issues as ASEAN’s diplomats meet

      July 26, 2024
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Afghanistan | Violence forces Obama to rethink troop levels

      February 2, 2016
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Singapore leader’s day at White House as Instagram shooter

      August 4, 2016
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Indonesia | Afghans protest Taliban, demand resettlement

      August 25, 2021
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      5 militants, Indian soldier killed in Kashmir fighting

      November 20, 2017
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      HK’s TV drama cast returns to Macau

    • HeadlinesMacau

      57 new cases found, tally rises to 1,583

    • Opinion

      Kapok | Opaque and unaccountable

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d