MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›ANM calls for probe on delayed annulment of Ocean World plot

ANM calls for probe on delayed annulment of Ocean World plot

By Lynzy Valles, MDT
January 10, 2019
2
0
Share:

The New Macau Association (ANM) handed a petition letter to the Legislative Assembly (AL) yesterday, urging lawmakers to investigate the government’s delay in terminating the land concession of Ocean World.

In December, the government announced the annulment of the land concession of the Ocean World land after its utilization expired in 2001.

Although the plot land was leased in 1997, the land was not developed.

ANM recalled that in 2009, the process of reviewing unutilized land finally began, yet only in 2016 was a report was submitted to the Chief Executive by the Secretariat for Transport and Public Works.

According to the association, the process has been “strangely long” and lacked transparency.

“During the land recovery procedure, there were many delays, it didn’t reasonably use our land, and the land recovery procedure was not transparent, which violates the principle that the public has the right to know,” said Chan Lok Kei, a member of the association.

“It has been 17 years. There was an unreasonable situation in the recovery procedure,” Chan added.

The association believes that if the land had been reclaimed earlier, there would have been “public facility, environmental reservation or public housing in place” by now.

“Why does the CE need two years to officially announce the recovery procedure? There are many problems we don’t understand. We hope that the AL can fulfill its duty in monitoring the government, and request the government to explain and publicize the explanation to the public,” Chan said.

Chan recalled that in 2017, the AL questioned the government about the case, yet said the only reply was that it was following the case and had no information for the public.

ANM stressed that if irregularities are found after an investigation, the government must be held accountable and measures must be taken to prevent a similar case from occurring.

In its petition, it also questioned measures the government would take to implement the principle of public knowledge as stipulated in the land law. “Especially, how can the public know whether a land concession is in the process of annulment,” it added.

“At this moment, what the government is doing is little, which makes the public not able to know information about current circumstances [regarding] Macau’s land resources,” said Chan.

“We hope that the AL can review the government’s work on whether there were abnormal actions. We think that AL should fulfill bigger duties in handling these problems; the basic laws say that the AL should receive the residents’ petition, and the AL should supervise the government and its administration,” he added.

Moreover, the association criticized the government’s claim that it had never explained the status and the follow-up of the city’s idle land, including Ocean World.

“The public has no idea whether the land is considered unutilized, whether an extension of usage period is approved, whether the contractor is fined or whether the process of annulment has started. It is outrageous that the public knows so little about something that matters so much to us,” the association noted.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

466 overloaded vehicle cases recorded in 2018

Next Article

LRT Taipa section to open in second ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Inês Chan appointed to TDM board

      July 3, 2025
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Carlos Marreiros firm wins design bid for Central Library

      November 19, 2018
      By -
    • Macau

      Infrastructure | Six companies compete for LRT depot construction

      July 6, 2016
      By -
    • Macau

      Daily gaming revenues recovering: Bernstein

      August 10, 2022
      By -
    • Macau

      UnionPay’s new payment system lands in Hong Kong

      June 6, 2017
      By -
    • Macau

      Hong Kong man arrested in MOP100,000 phone scam

      March 7, 2025
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gov’t to launch study for fifth Macau-Taipa link

    • BusinessHeadlines

      L’Oreal shuts Hong Kong shops amid protests over China ‘kowtow’

    • China

      Head of Myanmar’s military government visits China for the first time since taking power

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d