MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Business
Home›Business›Aviation | Salaries delayed at Hong Kong airlines as troubles mount

Aviation | Salaries delayed at Hong Kong airlines as troubles mount

By -
December 2, 2019
0
0
Share:

A demonstrator holds a sign during a protest at the Hong Kong International Airport in August 2019

Hong Kong Airlines Ltd. is delaying salaries as protests have “severely affected” the city’s third-biggest carrier, whose finances were already under strain before anti-government demonstrations flared in June.
Only cabin crew and overseas employees will receive their November wages on time, while all other Hong Kong-based workers will be paid on Dec. 6, the closely-held airline said in an email Friday. It said revenue dipped significantly in November — a low travel season — and impacted the monthly payroll.
Authorities have been concerned about Hong Kong Airlines for months, regularly requesting updates on its financial situation. Representatives from the Transport and Housing Bureau and Civil Aviation Department met with the airline’s management on Nov. 1 and demanded the company worked to improve its financial position. The Air Transport Licensing Authority, which has the power to revoke flying rights, has also expressed concern about the airline.
“ATLA is of the view that HKA’s financial situation has shown no sign of improvement,” the licensing body said last month, warning that it would “consider taking appropriate action” if no progress was made.
Months of anti-government protests have compounded the airline’s woes, weighing heavily on passenger traffic, while Hong Kong’s economy, already under pressure from the U.S.-China trade war, is in recession as tourist numbers plummet. The unrest has disrupted transport networks and temporarily paralyzed the airport in August, prompting Hong Kong Airlines at the time to say it would adjust services.
“Hong Kong Airlines was probably hit the hardest by the social unrest among the four carriers in Hong Kong,” said Ivan Su, an analyst at Morningstar Inc., noting that the airline has high exposure to mainland routes and is less able to offset a decline in travelers with revenue from international flights. “Still, it is a surprise to see that the company even struggles to pay staff,” he said.
The situation in Hong Kong remains delicately poised. Street battles between demonstrators and armed police have eased, but there are still tension spots, such as Hong Kong Polytechnic University, the scene of a two-week standoff. U.S. President Donald Trump this week signed legislation expressing American support for the protesters, prompting China to threaten retaliation.
Hong Kong Airlines cut some operations earlier this month and plans to cancel Los Angeles-bound flights from February. Other airlines have been affected by the unrest too. Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd. is one of the most high-profile business casualties, issuing profit warnings and coming under fire from the Chinese government as well as protesters.
Cathay will cut seat capacity 1.4% next year, according to an internal memo seen by Bloomberg News. In September, the company still planned to expand capacity by 3.1% next year, according to the document.
The reduction is “absolutely necessary because we don’t believe that in the current environment we can continue to operate a full schedule profitably,” Chief Executive Officer Augustus Tang said in the memo.
Meanwhile, Singapore Airlines Ltd., China Eastern Airlines Co. and Virgin Australia Holdings Ltd. all cut flights to Hong Kong, which is in danger of losing its status as Asia’s busiest airport for international traffic.
“Hong Kong Airlines has been in a relatively weaker position compared to bigger rivals such as Cathay even before the unrest,” Morningstar’s Su said.
“This one-off salary arrangement does not impact our daily operation,” Hong Kong Airlines said. “Our staff remains professional and are committed to delivering a safe and smooth service to all our customers.” Bloomberg

Berlin airport’s first flight

Berlin’s long-delayed airport finally has an opening date. The German capital’s BER airport will have its inaugural flight on Oct. 31 next year, the operator Flughafen Berlin Brandenburg GmbH said Friday on Twitter. That’s at least eight years behind schedule.
The story of BER is an embarrassing tale for Germany’s exalted engineering prowess. While construction started in 2006, its planned launch in June 2012 was scrapped a month before its unveiling because of fire safety issues, and has since been pushed back multiple times.
Defects had included automatic doors that lacked electricity, escalators that were too short, and a smoke-extraction system so complex, yet ineffective, it was dubbed “the Monster,” according to daily tabloid Bild.
Berlin desperately needs the new airport as Tegel and Schoenefeld, the city’s two existing airfields, are overflowing as an increasing number of tourists and business travelers flock to the city. The government in 2008 closed Tempelhof — the historic facility where Allied planes landed in the Berlin Airlift — and it plans to do the same with Tegel once BER begins operating.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Tourism | There have never been so ...

Next Article

Hong Kong | New wave of pro-democracy ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Business

      Corporate Bits | Turntable virtuoso hardwell to play at the venetian

      November 13, 2015
      By -
    • Business

      Feature | Las Vegas, New York casinos fuel Asian gambling’s U.S. push

      July 17, 2017
      By -
    • Business

      CEPA promotes development of Macau, mainland over two decades

      October 19, 2023
      By -
    • Business

      Clouds on horizon as trade wars, debt weigh on Asia’s growth

      September 27, 2018
      By -
    • BusinessCorporate Bits

      Exhibition explores firecracker industry through archives and design

      May 22, 2026
      By -
    • Business

      Japan, China sign agreement on ETF cross-investment program

      April 23, 2019
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      World briefs

    • World of Bacchus

      The Atlantic Soul

    • Extra TimesFeatures

      Heavenly hands 

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d