MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Greater BayHeadlines
Home›Greater Bay›Carrie Lam says she has never asked Beijing’s permission to resign

Carrie Lam says she has never asked Beijing’s permission to resign

By -
September 4, 2019
0
0
Share:

Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam speaks during a press conference in Hong Kong on Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2019. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam said she never asked China for permission to resign over the historic unrest rocking the city, while acknowledging that she discussed her struggles in a closed-door meeting.

Lam yesterday denounced as “unacceptable” the leak of taped remarks she made last week to a gathering of business people. Lam told a news briefing that she was committed to steering the city through the unrest, and only attempted to explain privately that it would be “an easy choice” for anyone in her position to leave.

“I have never tendered a resignation to the central people’s government,” Lam told reporters. “I have not even contemplated to discuss a resignation with the central people’s government. The choice of not resigning is my own choice.”

Lam told the gathering last week that she had caused “huge havoc,” and would quit “if I had a choice,” according to audio excerpts released by Reuters late Monday. She explained at the time that her “political room for maneuvering is very, very, very limited” under a system that requires her to answer to both local residents and Chinese leaders in Beijing.

Hong Kong is cleaning up after a fresh wave of pro-democracy protests, including clashes in which demonstrators hurled scores of petrol bombs and police responded with tear gas, water cannons and rubber bullets. The unrest began almost three months ago, when hundreds of thousands of people turned out to oppose Lam’s now-suspended proposal to allow extraditions to mainland China.

Yesterday, Lam again refused to rule out invoking sweeping emergency powers not used in more than half a century to contain the protests before China celebrates the 70th anniversary of Communist Party rule on Oct. 1. “If violence gradually subsides or gone, there is no need to think about such laws,” Lam said.

The news conference came ahead of a planned briefing by the Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office, China’s top body governing the city, scheduled for the afternoon. At a previous briefing, the office’s spokesman warned protesters that “Those who play with fire will perish by it.”

Lam’s administration has been criticized for fueling the unrest by refusing to formally withdraw the extradition bill, despite saying repeatedly the legislation was “dead.” She continues to refuse the protesters’ other demands, as well, including an independent inquiry into the unrest, an amnesty for those arrested and calls for greater democratic freedoms.

Although Lam has promised to engage in dialogue, it’s not clear how that will include protesters from a movement that has been devoid of leaders, even as police make sweeping arrests of the city’s pro-democracy figures.

Last week, Lam’s approval rating fell to a historic low of 17%, according to a survey by the Hong Kong Public Opinion Research Institute. When asked yesterday if she or her supporters released the tape to generate sympathy, she denied the assertion and said she was “very disappointed” by the leak.

“In a private session, I just attempted to explain that as an individual, given the very difficult circumstances, maybe it was an easy choice to leave,” Lam told reporters.

As protests drag on, Lam – a career bureaucrat appointed by Beijing to lead the city two years ago – has found herself under increasingly intense pressure. Hong Kong’s leader is squeezed between raucous local protesters pushing for universal suffrage and President Xi Jinping’s one-party government, which is trying to quell the protests while managing a trade war with the U.S.

Beijing has reiterated its support for Lam’s administration throughout the unrest, which has included economically harmful transit disruptions and an airport shutdown, said Wang Huiyao, a Beijing-based adviser to China’s cabinet and the founder of the Center for China and Globalization.

“The central government is really behind the Hong Kong administration,” Wang said on Bloomberg TV. “If it’s violent, there are riots going on, stopping public transportation, stopping the airport, it’s not tolerable in any other country.” Iain Marlow, Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Over 1,400 people sign petition to save ...

Next Article

IFT duo strike at school, attract police ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesInterviewMacau

      Cage (not) leaving Macau: ‘I would love to shoot here!’

      December 11, 2018
      By Paulo Coutinho, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Q&A | Stephen Morgan rector of the University of Saint joseph: Higher education is about to take a big step ...

      June 1, 2020
      By Julie Zhu, MDT
    • HeadlinesWorld

      198 killed in Gaza in Israeli retaliation for a Hamas assault into Israel

      October 7, 2023
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      CUT loses bid in Cinematheque operation

      June 18, 2020
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gov’t to scrap housing sector cooling measures to boost ailing market

      April 15, 2024
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      CE to attend Hong Kong’s 25th anniversary and inauguration of John Lee

      June 30, 2022
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      SARs residents proposed to contribute to Chinese social security

    • World

      World Briefs

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Signage outlawing crossing bridge on foot causes confusion

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d