MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›Country stars from Vegas festival to perform Grammy tribute

Country stars from Vegas festival to perform Grammy tribute

By -
January 19, 2018
0
0
Share:

Country music singer Eric Church

Three performers at last year’s Route 91 Harvest Festival where a gunman opened fire on fans will perform a tribute at this year’s Grammy Awards to honor victims killed at live music events this past year.

Eric Church, Maren Morris and Brothers Osborne, who performed at the three-day country festival prior to the mass shooting last October, will collaborate on a special performance at the 60th annual Grammy Awards, airing live on CBS from New York on Jan. 28.

The shooting in Las Vegas was the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. modern history. It came in a year when 22 people were killed in a bombing outside an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, in May.

Church headlined the first night of the festival, which was the last night of his tour. A gunman perched in a window of a hotel-casino overlooking the outdoor festival opened fire on the crowd during the final night of the festival as Jason Aldean was performing, killing 58 people and injuring hundreds more.

“In all honesty, there’s not a day that goes by since that day that I have not thought of it and thought of the people and the victims,” Church told The Associated Press. “That being our last show of the year, I took it in differently than I have maybe taken in other shows. I savored it. I remember everything about it.”

Church, who wrote a song called “Why Not Me” immediately after the shooting, said he knew some of the victims because they were members of his tight-knit fan club and said he appreciates that the Grammy producers wanted to reserve time in the show to remember those music fans who had been lost.

“Mass shootings, they happen every year, unfortunately,” Church said. “But this year was a little bit unique in that you had two happen at music events and one of those was the largest mass shooting in U.S. history. It’s been a tragic year.”

Ken Ehrlich, executive producer of the Grammys, said the country artists will perform a classic Grammy-winning song, which hasn’t been announced. “We considered a number of songs. We wanted something that is universal. We wanted something that spoke to the subject, which certainly this song does,” he said. “When you listen to the lyrics, this one certainly stood out.”

Morris, a nominee for best country solo performance, performed the night before the shooting. She said she’s heard directly from fans that the attacks have left them scared to go to shows, and said that it has affected artists as well.

“As an artist and a performer, I don’t want to be afraid to walk out on a stage each night,” Morris said. “I know that we’ve all been reckoning with that for the last several months.”

Morris said it felt right to have performers from that festival lead the tribute. “It reinforces, even more, the strength of music and the community that we all share together, artists and fans alike.”

Church said the attacks shattered the sense of safety and comfort that music can sometimes bring. He said that’s been the hardest thing for him as an artist to deal with, but added that those attacks can’t stop musicians or their fans.

“You don’t let it kill the music and you don’t let it destroy the moment,” Church said. Kristin M. Hall, Nashville (Tenn.), AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Offbeat | UK citizens ask Dutch court ...

Next Article

The Buzz | Four Macau gaming tycoons ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      UK’s Johnson asks for a Brexit delay that he doesn’t want

      October 21, 2019
      By -
    • World

      Offbeat | London: Dad gets ‘no-show’ bill after son, 5, misses birthday party

      January 21, 2015
      By -
    • World

      THE BUZZ | ‘Nearly empty’ Picasso museum open in Paris

      September 22, 2014
      By -
    • World

      Ukraine leader to UN Security Council: No more Russia veto

      April 7, 2022
      By -
    • World

      TURKEY | Some 130,000 Syrian refugees flee IS 

      September 23, 2014
      By -
    • World

      Nobel Peace Prize to activists from Belarus, Russia, Ukraine

      October 10, 2022
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gov’t saves on manpower by replacing 70 workers with automated kiosks

    • Macau

      More than 580,000 pass through airport in February

    • Macau

      Two women scammed out of MOP55,600 by fake ‘customer service’

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d