MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›TURKEY | Some 130,000 Syrian refugees flee IS 

TURKEY | Some 130,000 Syrian refugees flee IS 

By -
September 23, 2014
1
0
Share:
A Turkish soldier stands guard as several hundred Syrian refugees wait to cross the border in Suruc, Turkey

A Turkish soldier stands guard as several hundred Syrian refugees wait to cross the border in Suruc, Turkey

Some 130,000 Syrian refugees have reached Turkey in the past four days after fleeing the advance of Islamic State militants, Turkey’s deputy prime minister said yesterday, warning that the number could rise further as the militants press ahead with an onslaught.
Numan Kurtulmus said however, that Turkey was ready to react to “the worst case scenario.”
“I hope that we are not faced with a more populous refugee wave, but if we are, we have taken our precautions,” Kurtulmus said. “A refugee wave that can be expressed by hundreds of thousands is a possibility.”
The refugees have been flooding into Turkey since Thursday, escaping an Islamic State offensive that has pushed the conflict nearly within sight of the Turkish border. The conflict in Syria had already pushed more than a million people over the border in the past 3½ years.
The al-Qaida breakaway group — which says it wants to establish an Islamic state, or caliphate, ruled by a harsh version of Islamic law in territory it captured straddling the Syria-Iraq border — has in recent days advanced into Kurdish regions of Syria that border Turkey, where fleeing refugees on Sunday reported atrocities that included stonings, beheadings and the torching of homes.
Yesterday, fighting between Kurdish fighters and the Islamic State militants raged on near the northern city of Kobani, which is also known as Ayn Arab, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The Observatory said the militants lost at least 21 fighters since Sunday night, most of them on the southern outskirts of Kobani.
Nawaf Khalil, a spokesman for Syria’s Kurdish Democratic Union Party, or PYD, told The Associated Press that the situation on the ground “is better than before.”
He added that the main Kurdish force in Syria, known as the People’s Protection Units, had pushed Islamic State fighters about 10 kilometers away from their previous positions east of Kobani.
“We will fight until the last gunman in Kobani,” Khalil said.
The situation at the Turkish side of the border was tense, with more clashes breaking out between Kurds wanting to cross to take aid to the Kobani region and police preventing them from reaching the area.
The nearby town of Suruc was flooded with refugees and armored military vehicles were moving.
«This is not a natural disaster… What we are faced with is a man-made disaster,» said Kurtulmus, the Turkish deputy prime minister.
“We don’t know how many more villages may be raided, how many more people may be forced to seek refuge. We don’t know,” he said. “An uncontrollable force at the other side of the border is attacking civilians. The extent of the disaster is worse than a natural disaster.” Desmond Butler, Suruc, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsIslamic State
Previous Article

SPACE | NASA’s Maven explorer arrives at ...

Next Article

ENVIRONMENTAL ACTIVISM | Global marches draw attention ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      US AIRSTRIKES | Obama: US ‘underestimated’ Islamic State threat

      September 30, 2014
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      AUSTRALIA | Abbott warns jihadists they face prison 

      September 24, 2014
      By -
    • World

      KHORASAN GROUP | Obama opens a new front against al-Qaida

      September 25, 2014
      By -
    • World

      US AIRSTRIKES | ISIS oil sites hit in Syria

      September 26, 2014
      By -
    • World

      UK | Wife of latest hostage issues plea to militants

      September 22, 2014
      By -
    • World

      ISLAMIC STATE OFFENSIVE | Turkish troops head to Syria border as options weighed

      October 1, 2014
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Muslim family in Macau on a ‘jihad’ against radical Islam

    • Breaking NewsMacauWorld

      Chaos at London airport: Troops may be sent to hunt Gatwick drones

    • World

      The Buzz | Brazil: Rousseff loses lower house impeachment vote

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d