MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Court cancels Polytex asset seizure

Court cancels Polytex asset seizure

By -
December 24, 2018
0
0
Share:

The Court of First Instance has cancelled an order to seize the assets of property developer Polytex, the company responsible for the controversial Pearl Horizon project. A statement from lawyer Leonel Alves, who represents the company, suggested that the order might be ineffectual.

The Court had ordered the seizure of four buildings and 200 parking spaces owned by Polytex in the “La Baie du Noble” development.

After years of stagnation, the Pearl Horizon land plot expired in 2015 without the project’s completion and, as a result, was reclaimed by the Macau government. An appeal of the government’s repossession was rejected by the Court of Second Instance earlier this year.

At the request of some 120 pre-sale buyers, the Court of First Instance had initially ordered some Polytex assets be seized for liquidation if the courts ruled that compensation was due.

Buyers were demanding refunds for money spent on the acquisition of residential units. They had expressed to the courts their fear that the company would use the assets to avoid any liability.

Although the Court of First Instance had initially agreed with the buyers, it now says it has changed its stance to align with Polytex.

Alves’s statement explained that the asset seizure was cancelled “because it is not possible to conclude that the company intends to dissipate its assets, as alleged by the promising buyers, in order to avoid any debts.”

“[The Court] has thus decided to cancel and withdraw all previous arrests,” the statement noted.

The Pearl Horizon case continues to spur controversy.

Polytex argues that it is the government’s fault the project could not be completed within the 25-year period, citing obstructive administrative procedures.

However, earlier this year the Court of First Instance made its first ruling on the case, deciding that the developer must reimburse an individual who purchased a pre-sale residential unit over MOP2 million.

Meanwhile, a government initiative to develop a replacement residential site this year was not well received by the buyers, who said that it was unfair.

A number of related lawsuits are still being handled by the courts. Last week, a journalist accused of slander by Polytex was cleared of charges, but was still required to pay MOP50,000 in compensation for damaging Polytex’s image. DB

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Rise in visitor arrivals attributed to HKZMB

Next Article

Thursday, December 27, 2018 – edition no. ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • ChinaHeadlines

      Pause on US higher tariffs for China due to expire: wait and see?

      August 12, 2025
      By -
    • Macau

      Science | UM develops fast, accurate method to detect parasites

      November 30, 2017
      By -
    • Macau

      Briefs | Faulty loans soar

      February 14, 2017
      By -
    • Macau

      Applications open for 2025 childcare subsidy

      July 16, 2025
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Consumer Rights | Lawmakers concerned about adequacy of oversight and penalties

      June 25, 2021
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      MUST hosts Chinese painting exhibition to celebrate double 21st anniversary

      May 13, 2021
      By Anthony Lam, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Daily Edition

      Wednesday, July 12, 2023 – edition no. 4285

    • China

      Beijing reverses ban on trade in tiger, rhino products

    • World

      Covid-19 | Iran lawmaker says 50 dead from new virus in city of Qom

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d