MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Covid-19 | Gov’t presents detailed plan for future mass testing

Covid-19 | Gov’t presents detailed plan for future mass testing

By Renato Marques, MDT
August 27, 2021
0
0
Share:

The health authorities yesterday presented their detailed plan for a potential second round of mass nucleic acid testing (NAT) of the whole population of Macau.
The plan was unveiled by the director of the Health Bureau (SSM), Alvis Lo, during yesterday’s press briefing on the Covid-19 situation in Macau.
According to Lo, the plan resulted from analysis of the results obtained from the first mass testing held earlier this month and took into account both the opinions collected by different government departments involved, and feedback from the population.
“We have held several meetings and [have] already acknowledged what [work] we did not do well, as well as [having] collected the opinions of the different sectors and the citizens,” Lo said.
Although the plan incorporates improvements in five different areas, the one that Lo highlighted as the primary focus concerns the long waits and agglomerations of people queuing up for the test sampling.
To avoid a repeat of that scenario, the director said that for future mass testing there will be a stricter system of NAT scheduling which must be followed by citizens. There will also be a higher number of NAT sampling collection posts and an increased number of collection booths per post. These are among other measures aimed at facilitating access and flow for citizens to undertake the test, including those that have mobility issues or difficulties booking the test.

More posts, booths and added accessibilities
Among the most significant changes to be made is the addition of 10 new sample collection posts to the previous 42.
The number of collection booths covered by the 52 posts will also grow from the previous 269 to 367, including those from the 10 new posts and additional booths at all of the other 42 posts.
“For people with special needs we will have 10 posts that will have special corridors [to fast track these people] and we will also have seven posts that will be solely dedicated to caring for people with special needs,” Lo said, adding, “For people with the need to cross the border, we will have 14 posts where they can have the test done, at their own cost.”
Previously, there were only four of these paid post.
According to the official, the booking system will also allow people to see the waiting time at each post and how many people are currently waiting.
Lo also clarified that, in case people need to cross the border, they must choose one of the 14 posts that offer the service of uploading the test result to the health code. Otherwise, “for the general public they will not receive the results of the test. It won’t appear in their health code anymore, as happened on the first time,” Lo said. He explained, in response to media questions, that in the case of a positive test, the health authorities will contact that person directly to perform another test, this time at the Conde de São Januário Hospital Center.

Mass testing Task force
Another change that will result from the increase of posts and sample collection booths is the need for more human resources to handle testing.
For that purpose, the health authorities will operate with a “mass testing task force” that includes approximately 6,000 staff members involved in the first mass testing, and an additional 2,650 people recruited among health professionals and other volunteers.
“We have recruited around 650 physicians and other health professionals, as well as 2,000 volunteers, to participate [from the mass testing tasks],” Lo said, adding that such a task force for the NAT will include five sub-groups allotted to different tasks.
Lo has said that physicians and other health care staff from the private sector will be collaborating for these tasks, along with dentists, therapists, and even Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners.
A significant part of the group of volunteers will be people linked to the education sector, remarked the Education and Youth Development Bureau deputy director, Kong Chi Meng.
He explained that these people will mostly be performing tasks connected with registration, personal data checking, and other administrative tasks needed to hasten the process.
The goal of health authorities is for the process to be completed in a maximum of three days, and that each person need not wait more than 30 minutes to complete the full testing.

Backup and Cloud system to prevent failures
Another improvement made is the use of a new backup system for online booking of the NAT, along with a backup for the health code also to be lodged in the cloud.
According to Lo, the idea is to prevent any failures due to high traffic or other network problems, claiming that, in the case of a failure of the main system, the government can guarantee that a swap to the backup system can happen in just 15 minutes.
The police authorities will also help providing accurate data in real-time on the status of the collection posts with more people waiting, and as such the forecast waiting time for each post, in order to help citizens make the best choice in the moment.

Family infected with Delta variant recovering well

During yesterday’s press briefing from the local health authorities on the Covid-19 situation in Macau, the coordinator of the Novel Coronavirus Response and Coordination Center Dr. Leong Iek Hou announced that the local family of four infected with the Delta variant of Covid-19 are recovering well. Having undergone treatment, they have now been moved to the Public Health Clinical Center in Coloane, where they will complete the final stage of their recovery.
The family has been in isolated treatment since August 3, when they were identified as infected. The case prompted the decision to conduct mass testing for the whole population.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Elections 2021 | CAEAL cordons off Tap ...

Next Article

Guangdong, SARs to organize 2025 National Games

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Atlantic City | Union: Protect casino workers from hedge fund neglect

      April 12, 2019
      By -
    • Macau

      Zhuhai proposes fine hike for those found eating wild animals

      April 16, 2020
      By -
    • Breaking NewsMacauWorld

      Portugal chooses a president amid a severe pandemic surge

      January 24, 2021
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Benfica de Macau kicks off season highlighting AFC Cup

      January 18, 2018
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      24 carriers confirm Macau flights canceled through March

      March 1, 2020
      By Daniel Beitler, MDT
    • HeadlinesOpinionThe Conversation

      THE CONVERSATION | Not everyone is male or female – the growing controversy over sex designation

      February 9, 2022
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      ‘Bahamas leaks’ reveals offshore connections of Chui family

    • Business

      Ambiente Properties to open new office, expand team

    • Macau

      Man rescued from illegal lenders in Cotai casino case

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d