MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›This Day in History | 1968 – Musical Hair opens as censors withdraw

This Day in History | 1968 – Musical Hair opens as censors withdraw

By -
September 27, 2016
1
0
Share:

hair-musical
The American hippy musical “Hair” has opened in London – one day after the abolition of theatre censorship.
Until yesterday, some of the scenes in the musical, written by out-of-work actors Gerome Ragni and James Rado, would have been considered too outrageous to be shown on a stage in Britain.
The show, billed as an American tribal love-rock musical, first opened in New York on 2 December last year.
Many were angered by scenes containing nudity and drug-taking as well as a strong anti-war message at the height of the Vietnam conflict and the desecration of the American flag on stage.
The show’s transfer to London’s West End would not have been possible before the new Theatres Act which ended the Lord Chamberlain’s powers of censorship dating back to 1737.
Prime Minister Sir Robert Walpole introduced play censorship to silence shows like The Beggars’ Opera which contained biting anti-government satire.
The new Theatres Act does not give playwrights a completely free hand. Strong language and obscenity will still be liable for criminal prosecution.
Hair does contain some blasphemous and sexually explicit language.
But the scene that has aroused most controversy in the musical so far is where the cast appears on stage in the nude, emerging from beneath a vast sheet.
The director of the London production of Hair, Tom O’Horgan, said: “I think that the famed nude scene has been greatly over-emphasised.
“It has very little importance in the show itself and much of the publicity has obscured the important aspects of the play, which are also perhaps shocking to people because they deal with things as they are. We tell it the way it is.”
Asked whether the timing of the opening was significant, he said: “We couldn’t have done the play the way we’re doing it prior to this time without drastic modifications.”
The cast of the West End production appeared on Eamonn Andrews Independent Television show last night but decided against performing the nude scene. Mr O’Horgan said it would have given the wrong impression of the show.
Hair had a shaky start in New York. Its first two runs were cut short before producer Michael Butler became involved. He brought in Tom O’Horgan as director.
It took three months to re-vamp the musical – and when it finally appeared at the Biltmore on Broadway it had 19 songs in the first act compared with just nine in the original production.

Courtesy BBC News

In context

Hair ran on Broadway until 1 July 1972, when it closed after 1,742 performances.
It played to mixed reviews across the United States and was the subject of at least two prominent court battles, in Boston, Massachusetts in 1970 and Chattanooga, Tennessee in 1975.
In Britain, the play also opened to mixed reviews.
Drama critic Irving Wardle writing in The Times said: “Nothing else remotely like it has yet struck the West End.Its honesty and passion give it the quality of a true theatrical celebration – the joyous sound of a group of people telling the world exactly what they feel.”
Another critic writing in The Telegraph said the “taboo-flouting seemed too defiant”.
The actor Oliver Tobias starred in the West End production. He subsequently took the show to Israel and Holland.
Despite the initial controversy, there have been numerous revivals of Hair.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Offbeat | Python wrapped around armrest halts ...

Next Article

USA | Bomb case is latest hardship ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      The Buzz | American blogger Logan Paul apologizes for YouTube video

      January 3, 2018
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | Epstein guards suspected of falsifying logs

      August 15, 2019
      By -
    • World

      Myanmar | Protests continue a day after more than 100 killed

      March 29, 2021
      By -
    • World

      As US poised to restrict abortion, other nations ease access

      May 5, 2022
      By -
    • World

      Offbeat | Andra Day to appear on 40 million Coke cups at McDonald’s

      April 27, 2016
      By -
    • World

      This day in history | 1954 US tests hydrogen bomb in Bikini

      March 1, 2021
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Drive In

      ‘Jurassic World’ bites into the modern blockbuster

    • World

      Mexico | Experts say storms led to deaths of millions of monarchs

    • Macau

      Tourism buses border gate entry ban extended   

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d