MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›Ferris wheel, zip line, inlet eateries OK’d in Atlantic City

Ferris wheel, zip line, inlet eateries OK’d in Atlantic City

By -
February 23, 2015
1
0
Share:
People walking on the boardwalk in Atlantic City

People walking on the boardwalk in Atlantic City

The city, making good on its vow to seek new non-gambling attractions, has approved redevelopment plans including a giant Ferris wheel and a zip line on the beachfront next to the Steel Pier and restaurants, a rebuilt Boardwalk and an elevated walkway in its Inlet neighborhood.
The plans come as Atlantic City has lost four of its 12 casinos and is trying to make its tourism-centered economy less dependent on gambling.
The City Council last week approved an expansion of the iconic Steel Pier to make way for an already-approved 62-meter-tall observation wheel with enclosed, climate-controlled cars and a zip line ride. It also approved a redevelopment plan for the Northeast Inlet neighborhood including new eateries, entertainment and recreational facilities, a rebuilt Boardwalk and an elevated walkway to bring new business to the area.
“It’s a reinforcement of the importance of adding these other amenities,” said John Palmieri, executive director of the Casino Reinvestment Development Authority.
The agency has already approved the Ferris wheel project and will be contributing about USD8.1 million of its estimated $14 million price tag through a loan to be repaid from a portion of ride ticket revenue.
“It’s a good step forward in the ongoing effort to reinforce those non-gambling sectors,” Palmieri said.
It’s also something Atlantic City has been talking about since 2007, the first year its casino gambling revenues posted a yearly decline due to the opening of casinos in neighboring Pennsylvania that ate into its customer base. Those revenues have plunged from $5.2 billion in 2006 to $2.74 billion last year as casinos continued to open in Pennsylvania, New York and Maryland. Of the eight Atlantic City casinos that survived 2014’s slew of closings, three are in bankruptcy.
The wheel and its 40 cars are being built in Italy and should be delivered to Atlantic City by December. The start of an expansion of the Boardwalk to support the wheel and the zip line ride could begin within two months, Catanoso said. Wayne Parry, Atlantic City, AP

Alonso taken to hospital after crash at Barcelona

Fernando Alonso has been taken to hospital by helicopter after crashing in his McLaren during Formula One preseason testing yesterday.
McLaren said on Twitter: “Fernando is conscious and is speaking. He has been airlifted to hospital for further checks.”
Track officials at the Barcelona-Catalunya circuit said Alonso went off at turn three and hit the wall. They said he was transported to hospital “to continue with medical tests” after being treated at the circuit medical center.
McLaren has been plagued by technical problems this preseason after switching to Honda engines ahead of the upcoming season.
Neither the team nor track officials have reported the cause of the crash.
Alonso, 33, rejoined McLaren this season after a disappointing fifth and final campaign with Ferrari. He won back-to-back world titles with Renault in 2005 and 2006 before spending one season at McLaren in 2007.
Ferrari tweeted “All the best Fernando.” AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Record number of visitors, crowd control measures ...

Next Article

World briefs

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      Woman fails to save friend in Australian crocodile attack

      May 31, 2016
      By -
    • World

      Interview | Maduro reveals secret meetings with US envoy

      February 18, 2019
      By -
    • BuzzWorld

      Four hurt in German hospital fire, suspect arrested

      April 4, 2023
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | US officials recommend shorter Covid isolation, quarantine

      December 29, 2021
      By -
    • World

      World Briefs

      February 24, 2020
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | Minister quits UK government over aide’s lockdown breach

      May 27, 2020
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Uncategorized

      1992 Princess Royal remarries

    • Asia-Pacific

      Dedicated artists are keeping Japan’s ancient craft of temari alive

    • HeadlinesMacau

      National Security Bill passed without much discussion

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d