MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Sports
Home›Sports›Football | Virus-hit Dybala still dangerous for title-chasing Juventus

Football | Virus-hit Dybala still dangerous for title-chasing Juventus

By -
June 24, 2020
1
0
Share:

Paulo Dybala remains as dangerous as ever despite nearly 50 days with the coronavirus.

Cristiano Ronaldo had already given Juventus an early advantage by converting a penalty when Dybala doubled the lead with a splendid, curving effort in a 2-0 win at Bologna in the Serie A restart for both clubs yesterday [Macau time].

Resuming its chase for a record-extending ninth straight Italian league title, Juventus moved four points clear of Lazio, which visits Atalanta on Wednesday.

It was a welcome complete performance for Juventus after being held scoreless over two Italian Cup matches and losing the final to Napoli last week — when Dybala’s saved kick in the penalty shootout proved key.

“It was essential to win,” Juventus defender Leonardo Bonucci said. “It was tough to restart after so long. Those two matches were underwhelming. This is the right path. We need to have the desire to bring home the result at any cost.”

Dybala was isolated for 46 days starting in March when he continued to test positive for the virus week after week — even though he was reportedly without symptoms. Dybala’s girlfriend also tested positive.

“To tell you the truth, I didn’t really feel that great today,” Dybala said. “But I’m happy that I played a great match. During the time when I was idle I tried to stay in form by eating nutritiously.”

Ronaldo, meanwhile, continued to struggle from missed chances.

Matthijs de Ligt earned the penalty that Ronaldo converted then also started the play that led to Dybala’s goal, which was set up by a backheel pass from Federico Bernardeschi.

From just beyond the area, Dybala bent in a left-footed shot inside the left post.

After the break, Bernardeschi hit the post from the edge of the area and Ronaldo was unable to finish on the follow up.

Dybala also had another chance with his right foot but just missed the target.

Juventus finished with 10 men when second-half substitute Danilo picked up his second yellow card.

BEYOND IBRAHIMOVIC

AC Milan had no problem producing goals without the injured Zlatan Ibrahimović in beating relegation-threatened Lecce 4-1.

Samu Castillejo, Giacomo Bonaventura, Ante Rebić and Rafael Leão scored for the Rossoneri, who were eliminated by Juventus in the Italian Cup semifinals following a scoreless draw 10 days ago.

The victory boosted Milan’s chances of qualifying for Europe, moving level on points with sixth-placed Napoli, which visits Hellas Verona on Tuesday.

Lecce captain Marco Mancosu equalized temporarily by converting a penalty early in the second half but Bonaventura and Rebić quickly restored the visitors’ advantage in a span of three goals in four minutes.

Ibrahimović, who injured his calf in training last month, is expected back soon. But his contract, which expires at the end of the season, is a source of debate.

Before kickoff, Milan director of football Frederic Massara said “there will always be space for champions like (Ibrahimović)” but then added the club “needs to contain costs” amid the coronavirus pandemic.

NO BALOTELLI

Last-place Brescia drew at 10-man Fiorentina 1-1 without captain Mario Balotelli, who did not travel for the game amid a dispute with the club.

Franck Ribéry played for Fiorentina for the first time since Nov. 3 following an injury layoff.

All of the games are being played in empty stadiums. ANDREW DAMPF, ROME, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

The Buzz | China, India agree to ...

Next Article

Melco launches ‘Giving Stores’ initiative to distribute ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Sports

      Jackson Martinez to join Guangzhou Evergrande

      February 4, 2016
      By -
    • Breaking NewsMacauSports

      Euro 2016| Portugal leaves it late again to beat Poland on penalties 

      July 1, 2016
      By Paulo Coutinho, MDT
    • Sports

      Tens of thousands welcome Madrid home after winning title

      May 30, 2016
      By -
    • Sports

      Nascar | Johnson makes history with 10th win at Dover

      June 2, 2015
      By -
    • Sports

      Golf | McIlroy to take aspects of Woods’ game to improve in 2022

      January 20, 2022
      By -
    • Sports

      Son signs with MLS’ Los Angeles FC after a decade at Tottenham

      August 7, 2025
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Int’l stamp exhibition to be held in September

    • Asia-Pacific

      Offbeat | Singapore’s Raffles Hotel to close for face lift in late ‘17

    • Macau

      Ex-lawmaker Chan Wai Chi considering running in next election

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d