MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Business
Home›Business›Gaming | Hard Rock still eyes New Jersey casino near NYC

Gaming | Hard Rock still eyes New Jersey casino near NYC

By -
July 2, 2018
0
0
Share:

Jim Allen, CEO of Hard Rock International, speaks at the grand opening celebration 

Even after spending a half-billion dollars on an Atlantic City casino, Hard Rock still hopes to build one in northern New Jersey near New York City one day.

Hard Rock CEO Jim Allen said the company has made significant investments of money and time preparing for casino gambling at the Meadowlands Racetrack in East Rutherford. “We have an ownership in the Meadowlands, and we have an exclusive right to operate the [casino] gaming operation there,” he said.

A proposal to allow that was resoundingly defeated by voters in 2016. But Allen said the company has not dropped the idea. Speaking last week at the opening of Hard Rock’s new casino at what used to be the Trump Taj Mahal, Allen said every study projects a casino at the Meadowlands would do well, with 14 million people living within 50 miles of it. “Yes, we would certainly be interested,” he said.

An Associated Press analysis of the Meadowlands casino proposal in 2016 found it could be among the most successful in the country — at least until a casino is opened in New York City itself, if that ever happens.

Jeff Gural, who operates the Meadowlands track, estimates a Meadowlands casino would take in USD800 million to $900 million a year from gamblers, ranking it among the most successful in the nation. Some analysts think a Meadowlands casino could exceed $1 billion in annual revenue, at least before it has a nearby competitor in northern New Jersey.

And since that time, the U.S. Supreme Court cleared the way for all 50 states to legalize sports betting, which New Jersey quickly did. The Meadowlands plans to start taking sports bets on July 15.

Allen’s comments last week echoed those he made right after the statewide referendum was defeated by roughly 80 percent to 20 percent. But key details about the project were never spelled out, including precisely where the casinos would go and the rate at which they would be taxed.

And at least for now, there remains little appetite among the state’s Democratic-controlled Legislature to try again for another public vote on casino expansion. New Jersey’s constitution restricts casino gambling to Atlantic City; changing that would require a constitutional amendment.

New Jersey Senate President Steve Sweeney told the AP in December that casino expansion is on the back burner, at best. “I don’t see it anytime soon, if ever,” he said at the time. “I don’t see any way where it comes back; it was crushed.”

Sweeney said he can’t guarantee a future state Senate president won’t try to revive a public vote. “I just don’t see it reasonably coming back and making sense,” he said.

Sweeney reiterated that stance on Friday.

Hard Rock was one of two shuttered Atlantic City casinos that sprang back to life Thursday. The former Revel casino, which closed in Sept. 2014, reopened as the Ocean Resort Casino.

The Trump Taj Mahal closed in October 2016, and Hard Rock bought it from former owner Carl Icahn in March 2017. While reiterating his company’s long-term plan of developing a Meadowlands casino, Allen said it is committed to making its Atlantic City property a success.

“If that [Meadowlands casino] looks like it’s going to happen, we will certainly not forget about the half-billion dollars we have invested in this building,” he said. Wayne Parry, Atlantic City, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Xiaomi’s IPO raises USD4.7 billion after pricing ...

Next Article

HSBC is in talks to pay Russian ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Business

      Corporate bits | Sands China volunteers at Caritas Bazaar

      November 6, 2018
      By -
    • Business

      Aviation Tigerair Taiwan adds flights to Macau on ‘boost in tourism’

      August 24, 2016
      By -
    • BusinessCorporate Bits

      Galaxy showcases table tennis culture with rare racket exhibition

      September 17, 2025
      By -
    • BusinessHeadlines

      Rich Asians are crazy to live in Shanghai, luxury index shows

      December 5, 2018
      By -
    • Business

      Bordeaux 2015 wine prices pick up pace

      June 6, 2016
      By -
    • Business

      Corporate Bits | The St. Regis Macao, Cotai Central tops out

      December 3, 2014
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • ChinaHeadlines

      China counts 150 more virus deaths, South Korean cases jump

    • Macau

      Briefs | Gov’t receives 37,000 subsidized housing applications

    • World

      The Buzz | Hong Kong economy contracts 9% in latest quarter

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d