MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Business
Home›Business›Gaming | US: Luxor Capital to own Atlantic City’s Ocean Resort Casino

Gaming | US: Luxor Capital to own Atlantic City’s Ocean Resort Casino

By -
January 30, 2019
1
0
Share:

A New York hedge fund that lent money to Atlantic City’s Ocean Resort Casino is assuming ownership of it. Luxor Capital Group was identified as the new owner in a press release from the casino. The company, which is not related to the Luxor casino in Las Vegas, will take over the ownership interest of Bruce Deifik and his family.

Luxor Capitol will assume control once it receives interim authority to own a casino. Until it gets that approval, which could come within three to four months, a trust will be created for the casino’s temporary ownership.

Once Luxor Capital completes a promised USD70 million investment into the property, a trustee will be appointed to oversee the trust until the company is deemed suitable to hold a casino license in New Jersey.

The casino-hotel plans to operate normally during the transition. The ownership change comes less than seven months after the property’s re-opening.

“We are incredibly proud of the progress our team members have made in establishing Ocean Resort Casino as one of the premier gaming and leisure destinations in the United States,” said Frank Leone, the casino’s CEO. “We are thankful for the support we have received from the broader Atlantic City and New Jersey community and look forward to an exciting 2019.”

Deifik, who earlier this month said he would retain a small, non-controlling interest in the casino, will have no ownership of it at all. In announcing the casino would change hands earlier this month, Deifik said the new ownership would invest $70 million to help get the property through the slow winter months.

Ocean Resort was one of two formerly shuttered casinos that reopened the same day last June, along with Hard Rock.

The reopenings brought Atlantic City’s casino total to nine, shortly after five casinos had shut down in a market that could not support them all. The Atlantic Club, Showboat, Revel and Trump Plaza all closed in 2014, and the Trump Taj Mahal closed in 2016. (The Taj Mahal reopened as Hard Rock last year.)

The revival of the two casinos immediately raised questions as to whether Atlantic City was making the same mistake that led to the first wave of shutdowns: having too many for all to thrive.

In its first incarnation as Revel, the $2.4 billion casino lasted just over two years before closing in 2014. Florida developer Glenn Straub bought it out of bankruptcy court for $82 million, and sold it last year to Deifik, a Colorado developer, for $200 million.

Deifik decided to buy the casino sight unseen on the recommendation of his advisers, and set about renovating it, adding an indoor golf facility and one of the state’s most extensive sports betting facilities.

He and his management team said they were confident they had fixed what went wrong with Revel. Deifik reconfigured the maze-like casino floor, allowed smoking on it again, welcomed gamblers of all income and playing levels, and placed a premium on customer service.

He took over Ocean Resort with far less debt than what sank Revel. But the casino’s gambling revenue remains near the bottom of the pack along Atlantic City’s nine casinos. AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

East Timor | Non-oil economy expected to ...

Next Article

China | Provinces slash growth goals as ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Business

      Imitate animals to get discounts at Studio City this CNY

      January 21, 2020
      By -
    • BusinessHeadlinesMacau

      return sparks industry concerns over legal compliance and operations

      February 4, 2026
      By Yuki Lei, MDT
    • BusinessCorporate Bits

      Galaxy to grant one-month discretionary bonus to 97% of staff

      January 8, 2026
      By -
    • BusinessMacau

      Tourism sector in a strong state, says MGTO chief

      March 2, 2026
      By Yuki Lei, MDT
    • BusinessHeadlines

      APAC destinations gain momentum: Mastercard

      May 17, 2024
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • BusinessCorporate Bits

      Galaxy launches new series of promoting green and healthy corporate practices

      November 7, 2025
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      GTEF | Latin America easing entry requirements for China passport holders

    • World

      United | Nations Global food needs are outstripping donor generosity

    • Macau

      IPIM organizes integrity seminar following scandal

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia
    %d