MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Business
Home›Business›Google targeted as EU weighs call to split search providers

Google targeted as EU weighs call to split search providers

By -
November 24, 2014
1
0
Share:

google-bloomberg_165042European Union lawmakers seeking to combat what they consider anti-competitive behavior by Google Inc. are weighing a call to split up companies that focus on Web search, according to a document prepared by members of the European Parliament.
One draft obtained by Bloomberg News asks regulators to tackle what it says are abusive practices by the Internet search provider. The European Commission should “consider proposals with the aim of unbundling search engines from other commercial services” to aid Europe’s digital industry, according to another version of a draft resolution prepared by members of the European People’s Party, which didn’t specifically mention Google.
Google, which has more than 90 percent of the search market in many European countries, is facing threats to its business, including a possible Internet copyright levy, that add to a lengthy EU antitrust investigation into allegations that it discriminates against rivals. Lawmakers Andreas Schwab and Ramon Tremosa earlier this week called for legislation if the EU can’t resolve its probe.
“This motion, especially if passed by Parliament, threatens to undermine the credibility of a long-running commission investigation by blatantly interjecting politics into a legal process,” Ed Black, the head of the Washington DC-based Computer and Communications Industry Association, said in an e-mailed statement. Such a politicization is ‘deeply troubling.’’
Lawmakers from the EPP and liberal groups plan to ask the entire assembly to vote on Nov. 26 on the resolution. The final draft of their text must still be negotiated. While the version citing Google doesn’t specifically ask for Google to be broken up, it does ask regulators to “act decisively on all concerns” given Google’s high market share.
The draft urges EU antitrust regulators to agree only to concessions by the company that “immediately and unequivocally” prevent it from discriminating against rivals. It also asks for users to be shown search results that are “best for them, rather than best for Google.”
The document says the EU should send antitrust objections to the company, a move that can lead to fines unless there’s a settlement.
Margrethe Vestager, the EU’s antitrust chief who took office on Nov. 1, will decide how to take the Google probe forward once she’s heard from “those most directly affected,” said her spokesman Ricardo Cardoso.
“Search engines are key players in the development” of the European economy, Cardoso said in an e-mail. “We are committed to ensuring fair competition in the markets they are active in.”
Niki Christoff, a spokeswoman for Mountain View, California-based Google, declined to comment.
Google has made several attempts to settle the EU case since the EU opened a formal investigation in 2010. So far the commission hasn’t deemed any of its proposals acceptable after consulting with companies that complained about Google’s behavior in the search market.
While the parliament doesn’t have the power to compel regulators to propose legislation or alter their antitrust probe, it can amend laws it’s examining. Lawmakers used this to curb banker bonuses and increase capital requirements for banks in 2010. Aoife White , Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

China chases growth amid global slowdown

Next Article

Macau Creative to showcase InFLUXUS artworks and ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Business

      Corporate bits | Bene presents cuisines from North Italy

      January 10, 2019
      By -
    • Business

      Milk-peddling brothers turn airline millionaires with China IPO

      May 27, 2015
      By -
    • BusinessCorporate Bits

      CTM to showcase 5G+ smart solutions in Beyond Expo

      May 9, 2023
      By -
    • BusinessCorporate Bits

      Wing Lei Bar at Wynn Palace unveils new concept

      March 10, 2025
      By -
    • Business

      Chinese auto exports rose 64% in 2023, with strong push by EVs

      January 12, 2024
      By -
    • Business

      US fans are following Taylor to Europe after finding Eras Tour tickets less costly there

      May 9, 2024
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      ‘Simpsons’ co-creator’s memorabilia, art is going to auction

    • China

      Xi calls for cooperation on Internet regulation

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gaming | 2018 and whether it will be the year of the mass-market breakout

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d